advice on decent amp to replace my denon x2200w - i want 2 HDMI 2.1 Outputs

whats the current faves out there - is there anything better than the denon x2800H for £600

Not for £600 no.

I'd maybe go for this in case you ever wanted more channels but obviously £100 more expensive.

If you can scrape £100 more, the Sony TA-AN1000 is often on offer, I imported one from Amazon.fr for £630 2 weeks ago, and it was £699 in the prime day sales for 2 days and this was being matched by many retailers.. its just gone back up, but Black Friday would surely see it discounted again.

Coming from a Denon X2500h, the main upgrades are really down to the Sony's 360 Spatial Sound Mapping feature.. it absolutely does an amazing job on recreating extra speakers and giving an unrivalled bubble of pin point 360 sound. The bonus on this is the centre channel can be compensated to really appear as if its coming directly from the screen at the right height and was a huge improvement for dialog.

Also, previously I had to compromise by choosing a 7.1 or 5.2 layout for my 7 speakers, since the majority of my source material was not in Atmos, I preferred the 7.1 setup, but for Atmos movies, the 5.2 setup sounded better.. but you can't keep moving your speakers around. I was contemplating going for a 7.4 setup which needed a much higher spec amp and 4 more speakers, but the Sony allows me to have a 5.2 setup (2 mid height speakers in my case) and the 360SSM fills in the lower mid-surrounds perfectly so I can now enjoy the best of both worlds with just 7 speakers. I think you only need 5 speakers to get most of the effect for a full 11 speaker setup (4 height, 7 lower).

Music also sounds oddly good with the 360SSM allowing this enveloping sound stage to which many people actually prefer leaving that on, but I guess will be down to individual taste..

Other than that they are much of a muchness:
Both the Denon and the Sony should be prime candidates if you're looking to buy an AVR for under £1000. We can't deny that we prefer the sound of the Sony, but if you're on a budget then the Denon simply makes sense considering it too is an Award-winning AVR.

The X2500h just stopped outputting any audio randomly.. this is the second Denon AVR that struggled to make it beyond 5 years, the Yamaha and Sony's I've had prior to this didn't miss a beat, although I still love my old Denon AVR3802 which is much better build.

Last edited:
In fact i can get away with 2 HDMi inputs 2.1 - I assume the outputs are fully HDMI 2.1

I was looking at the denon 3800h as that has the 2 extra channels but i could live without those depending on the effectiveness of the 3d processing etc

Back
Top Bottom