Advice on Soundbar appreciated

Associate
Hi everyone and Happy New Year

I currently have a Sony STRDH820 receiver,a pair of Q Accoustics 2020i fronts,a Q Accoustics 2000ci Centre and an BK Gemini 2 Sub.I like this setup but unfortunatly space has become restricted in our living room so im going to have to put it into storage until we move house hopefully this year.
I was originally looking at soundbars in the £6-700 range mainly the Sony HTZF9 because RS are doing a deal for the rear speakers as well or the JBL Bar 9.1 Wireless Soundbar but decided it might be overkill for the sake of a few months.
So now i am looking at cheaper options and im drawn to the Yamaha YAS-109 because i can still use my subwoofer with it.
The question is should i just bite the bullet and get the more expensive option or be sensible and go with the cheaper option for the sake of a few months hopefully.Has anyone got any experience with any of the above soundbars who could advise me?

Soldato
If it's temporary, then I'd be inclined to consider the second hand market - not necessarily to buy second hand (though obviously an option) but more so to try and gauge if any of the models you're looking at hold value well - no harm in spending £1000 on something you can sell in a year for £800 rather than £500 on something that'll be worth £300 and you can enjoy the superior quality in the meantime. Of course if you bought second hand to start with, you could do the same and potentially lose even less.

Caporegime
Yamaha make amazing soundbars however their yas range is terrible.

Their ysp range is where their soundbars should start and even then it should have been with the ysp 2700 upwards.

I don't understand how a living room that used to be able to support 5.1 no longer can.

I also don't understand if it's temporary why you couldn't just live with TV speakers for the sake of a few months?

Buying a temporary soundbar is just going to be money wasted unless you pick up one for cheap second hand then sell it on cheap again. For all the hassle that involves I'd stick with TV speakers or the current 5.1 system.

Going from 5.1 to the Yamaha yas I'd rather just go straight to TV speakers tbh. The £200 would be £200 wasted.

As for resale value you would be lucky to get £50 for the yas. I think I sold my Yamaha ysp 1600 for buttons like £35 but likely because it was collection only. If I had the box I could have got more by offering postage.

I got my ysp 2700 for buttons so didn't care.

If you want to know of a good cheap soundbar to buy then rtings has all the info you need.

Soldato

Their ysp range is where their soundbars should start and even then it should have been with the ysp 2700 upwards.
I don't understand how a living room that used to be able to support 5.1 no longer can.
I also don't understand if it's temporary why you couldn't just live with TV speakers for the sake of a few months?
Buying a temporary soundbar is just going to be money wasted unless you pick up one for cheap second hand then sell it on cheap again. For all the hassle that involves I'd stick with TV speakers or the current 5.1 system.
Going from 5.1 to the Yamaha yas I'd rather just go straight to TV speakers tbh. The £200 would be £200 wasted.
As for resale value you would be lucky to get £50 for the yas. I think I sold my Yamaha ysp 1600 for buttons like £35 but likely because it was collection only. If I had the box I could have got more by offering postage.
If you want to know of a good cheap soundbar to buy then rtings has all the info you need.
I'm inclined to agree here, if it was me, I'd just go with TV speakers for a bit rather than wasting eitheer a smaller pot of money i.e. 200 on a crap soundbar OR £1k on a soundbar that won't hold that value... personally I'd just suck it up tbh and just use TV speakers OR use your amp and use the surrounds as mains ensuring not much space is taken up!

happy new year btw ;)

Associate
OP

Ok we have lost a lot of space in our living room because my partner and stepdaughter who are both disabled have had to have an internal lift fitted so has reduced the floorspace and meant things are tighter because of the shape of the room.
I can use the TVs speakers but my partner also has a problem hearing them clearly sometimes because her hearing isnt great all the time and when i was using my normal system it was hardly ever an issue.To be honest i have been veering away from the YSP and looking more at the Sony HTZF9 which i have seen for £499 and a £100 off the rears as well or the JBL Bar 9.1 which i have seen on offer and both seem to hold there prices pretty well.

Soldato
I've got a Yamaha sound stage in the FS section if it's of interest, collection only though

I'm actually going back to TV speakers because I just don't use the sound stage so would say you should probably do the same based on what you've said

Caporegime
Ok we have lost a lot of space in our living room because my partner and stepdaughter who are both disabled have had to have an internal lift fitted so has reduced the floorspace and meant things are tighter because of the shape of the room.
I can use the TVs speakers but my partner also has a problem hearing them clearly sometimes because her hearing isnt great all the time and when i was using my normal system it was hardly ever an issue.To be honest i have been veering away from the YSP and looking more at the Sony HTZF9 which i have seen for £499 and a £100 off the rears as well or the JBL Bar 9.1 which i have seen on offer and both seem to hold there prices pretty well.

Sorry to hear that.

I'd sell all your current stuff if your looking at a soundbar

You can find soundbar reviews on rtings so I would look on their website for what's the best value for money

Soldato
It's a middle ground, but we bought my mother in law the JBL 2.0 Soundbar for Christmas. It's a step up from the tv sound which she was struggling to hear, so may be workable for your partner, but also means not sinking too much money you don't intend to keep.

Back
Top Bottom