Advice please used cars

Associate
Hi all,

New to forum and in need of advice please.

I am in need of a new car and narrowed it down to the 2 below.

2016 Vauxhall Mokka, petrol automatic 30800 miles on the clock. Unable to check MOT history at the moment. £9595
Or
2019 Skoda Octavia diesel automatic 84000 miles on the clock. Perfect MOT history £8999

I am torn with the old age v mileage and after reading various articles I am still no clearer. I am going to test drive them both this week. I am edging to the Skoda due to being newer and can see the MOT up front, the dealership the Mokka is at puts their brand over the reg plate - very annoying! Its is a reputable dealer though.

I’ll be driving around 100 miles Mon - Fri then whatever at the weekend.

Thanks for reading and providing any opinion you can give.

Whilst Petrol is probably the more obvious choice, i'd also be wanting to take an Octavia over a Mokka. Although they're fairly different cars. Is there reason you've narrowed down to each of these? Don't think Diesel would be much of a concern at ~20 miles a day.

I wouldn't worry about mileage too much. The Skoda is ~17k/yr which isn't outrageous. As long as it's been serviced/maintained it'll last a long time. Especially with you not doing many miles, by the time you come to sell it'll have evened out and minimised depreciation.

Last edited:
Thanks for responses. It’s basically they both look like they would suit my family needs I am tall as is the family. The mokka attracted my attention due to the low miles & the Skoda due to the age & both seem the best cars in my price range currently.

One thing to check with the Mokka would be if it has the 'wet belt' issue - don't go with what a dealer says - DYOR.

Similarly, check if things like timing belts are due a replacement or have been replaced if relevant for the engine. 8th services can be quite expensive on Vauxhalls so make sure it's done and done fully.

I don't understand how a car shortlist ends with either a diesel Skoda Octavia or a much older Vauxhall Mokka. There must be loads of other choices - first decide if you want a diesel hatchback or a petrol whatever the Mokka is, then create a shortlist.

There's no such thing as a reputable dealer. They'll be quick to make the sale but I'd be surprised if they're as nice post-sale.
I had zero problems with JCT600. They threw £2k at my car two weeks after I bought it with no fight at all over it.

As for the car in the OP, 100 miles per week inc weekends? If it's a short distance run around i'd be wary of a modern diesel personally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom