Advice Re: Road to Righteousness??

Associate
Currently looking to move from CRT (Diamond Plus 91) to TFT and would appreciate some guidance because some of the monitors I'm considering require reasonable (unreasonable?) trips if I'm to view them before purchase!

We have one TFT in the house, the "Value option" 19" that came with a Dell machine and based on this experience I thought getting a replacement for the CRT would be a simple task, but seems that there are a multitude of different parameters to consider! I plan to use the screen for Office work Surfing and general multimedia, but not whole films. (Lots of Documents). My sons will use it to play Far Cry etc.

I am considering the following:

Samsung SM913
AG 419B
Xerox XA7-19i

The last of these is considerabley more expensive, so question whether it's worth the extra bucks. This forum is full of comment that the TN version ain't worth the extra cost over other TN screens so - would appreciate comments from those who have the TN version - cos this is the least accessible monitor for me to check out.

The other two are around the same price - I saw an SM913 in No competitor talk please and it looked poor - but maybe the set up was up the duff. I've never seen the AG monitor (or heard of it until recently).

Would appreciate comments on relative advantages/merits of these screens versus each other as well as value versus the Xerox. All our PCs are Analogue Outputs at present although this may change soon.

Apologies if the questions seem dumb, or have been covered elsewhere.

Associate
OP
Baddass

Thanks for the feedback. A couple of follow up queries:

1. I read in some review that the Samsung 913N really was aimed at "games" and that text was a little "soft". I will be using it to look at quite a lot of text documents, so would appreciate your comments on use in this way. (How will it compare to my CRT?).
2. Would be interested in the Dell, but concerned that if I got the 20ms version it would be too slow for gaming. I presume that for gaming it would be pretty poor? Any info on the probabilities here?
3. Which leads me to the inevitible question: what would be the best "next price up" monitor (perhaps it would do all that I require)?

Appreciate your views.

Disciple

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the info. One final question (sorry!). The Hyundai L90D+ is only slightly more than the Samsung 913N. Is it a better screen? If so, in what way?

Thanks

Disciple

Associate
OP
Sort of an 913n with DVI input then?

As mentioned don't have any graphic cards with DVI outputs at present, but this is likely to change soon. Is the Hyundai performance improved when you use the DVI?

Sorry to drag this out - but this is all useful info for me!

Disciple

Back
Top Bottom