Advice required for sons PC upgrade

Associate
Hi my 13 year old son saved up and bought his first PC a while ago and now wants to upgrade it.
Can I have some advice or options what's best to upgrade?
He says he wants a RTX 2060 GPU. Is this a good option or do you recommend others Eg radeon gpu or 1660?
Price wise I'm looking at is £300 if its a GPU.
I'm positive if he upgrades the GPU he will need a bigger power supply.
He normally players Destiny, minecraft and rainbow 6 siege.

The spec is as follows
MSI Optix MAG241CP 23.6" monitor
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
MSI GTX 1060 OC V1 6GB
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz
450W Corsair VS450 power supply
ASUS Prime A320M-K motherboard

I know it's not a super machine so no poor comments please.
Thanks in advance

A 2060 will wipe out your budget (they start at £300), and I agree with upgrading the PSU (if nothing else it will allow you to preform more upgrades at a later date).

This is slightly over budget though, however I'm not really up to date with PSU's (I tend to go OTT) so I would prefer it if someone else gave another PSU option to see if they can get one that's within budget whilst recommending you a good PSU:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £322.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Hi thanks for the reply.
So he is correct in wanting to upgrade the GPU?
I was meaning the budget for the graphics card is around the £300 mark. I don't mind paying extra for a power supply.
Are there any other GPUs that are recommended?

Hi thanks for the reply.
I was meaning the budget for the graphics card is around the £300 mark. I don't mind paying extra for a power supply.
2060 super or 5600xt but if he's asked for the 2060 mite be worth getting that, no disappointment.

Psu get a 750w it will cover you for any further upgrades and a decent unit should cost £100.

Corsair rm has a 10 year warranty.

Hi thanks for the reply.
In that case, but please note that this is not a 2060 Super but a 2060:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £415.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

2060 Super's start at £400: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...nvidia/geforce-rtx-2060-super?spage=1&ssort=3

2060 super or 5600xt but if he's asked for the 2060 mite be worth getting that, no disappointment.
any ideas what the preformance differencies are between a 2060 and a 2060 super?

5600xt wise i would suggest this, along with the above psu:

my basket at overclockers uk:
Total: £309.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

However there are cheaper options from manfacturers I would trust (Gigabyte and MSI): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...amd/radeon-rx-5600-xt-series?sPage=1&sSort=3#

Might be worth shopping around?

A 1060 6GB is still a decent 1080P card, honestly I don't think I'd bother with a GPU upgrade until the new mid range cards are out next year.

I'd be more inclined towards picking up a better CPU such as the 3600, maybe try and find one second hand on the cheap and sell the 3400G to help with costs.

Hold in mind if you do go the CPU route you may need to flash your motherboards BIOS.

A 1060 6GB is still a decent 1080P card, honestly I don't think I'd bother with a GPU upgrade until the new mid range cards are out next year.

I'd be more inclined towards picking up a better CPU such as the 3600, maybe try and find one second hand on the cheap and sell the 3400G to help with costs.

Hold in mind if you do go the CPU route you may need to flash your motherboards BIOS.
I agree with this, a 1060 still performs well at 1080p.
Seems a shame spending money on older tech when new tech will be released which should perform better at a similar price.

Thanks for your advice and an update.
My son went down the new cpu route and got a 3600 and a MSI B450 Pro carbon max motherboard. He is looking to purchase a rx 5700 in the new year.
Will his current psu 450w Corsair VS450 be enough to run the new components until he gets his new GPU?
I know he will need to update it then.
Thanks

Thanks for your advice and an update.
My son went down the new cpu route and got a 3600 and a MSI B450 Pro carbon max motherboard. He is looking to purchase a rx 5700 in the new year.
Will his current psu 450w Corsair VS450 be enough to run the new components until he gets his new GPU?
I know he will need to update it then.
Thanks
Yes it will do, but for the 5700 I'd recommend an upgrade, 550W or ideally 650W.

A PSU is not something you want to cheap out on as a failure can take out other components quite easily. I'd recommend Superflower, Seasonic, Silverstone, Be Quiet or Phanteks PSU's.

Back
Top Bottom