Advice with my website

Soldato
Hi I have had a guy make my website some months ago.

I have today got the information from him so a friend of mine can do some changes to it.

But I would like some advice.

How do you access and change your website?

These are the details he (webman) has sent me

FTP username: [email protected]

FTP Server: ftp.xxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk

FTP server port 21

SFTP server port 3784

Password xxxxxx

He also said " There's also a Filezilla set up for you - filezilla is a free client "

although in his email I had no information about filezilla, unless I have that above.

Just curious if I can have a go at changing things. Plus is that ALL the information I would need?

Thank you

Last edited:
You would normally need the FTP server name too, something like:

ftp.yourdomainname.co.uk

Then download the Filezilla client program, and use the New Site functionality to be able to FTP connect to your website. It looks to me that he is also using Secure FTP which is something I don't usually use and may mean you have to select Secure options in the connection details.

Once you've connected, you can download the files, have a go at editing the HTML code using something like Notepad or the professional option Dreamweaver, and put the file back on the server. However, if you are inexperienced, you may break something, and that's when a professional web designer might be a better option :)

Rgds

sorry edited above, i did have FTP Server name

I have downloaded filezilla. Do not know where this 'new site' is you are on about.

I just get a pop up window on filezilla asking for 'connect to server' enter details and nothing, red words come up saying connection to server lost

Mind you just noticed that I did not Download 'client' version, I downloaded server version, so maybe that was why. Shall download 'client' and try that.

Yes, I expect it's the client version you want (didn't know there was a server version), then:

File / Site Manager / New Site (Button) - Then config the site in the right pane.

Rgds

well I cannot seem to do anything with filezilla. I enter details (as best I know from what is above and where to put it on file/sitemanager/new site.

I just connection timed out or something like could not connect to server?

Any ideas?

thanks

Think I have perhaps found the problem.

My website is showing if i use a computer and go to the www address of my site.

But, I have just cleared my 'cookies' etc and now my website is not showing.

On any computer of mine (3) + my blackberry.

I have checked though these websites "is my website working" and it says it is on line?

I am confused as just text's my webmaster and he says it is working. i am just curious if it is showing on his computer as he has NOT deleted his cookies, therefore just showing him the page that is stored on the computer.

NOW this is odd.

My 2 desktop PC's and 1 laptop and 1 blackberry will NOT show my website.

I have tried to ping it and just get a request timed out.

I have cleared my cookies etc on all machines.

I have just been out somewhere in my car and I went on my blackberry and tried my website and it came up fine.

tried it when I got home (blackberry connects to router when at home) and I cannot see my website.

Any idea why? why would my router stop this?
if it is my router that is?

Ok, so I have managed to log in to Filezilla and this is a screen shot. Like I said I will not be playing around with this as no idea what I am doing. BUT is that it? where are all my files for my website.

My website is only 1 page and just writing/information. Just thought there would be folders with images, text, etc etc on here. But confused.

cc1.jpg

It looks to me like you are into your site, but maybe not the right folder. You should be able see .htm files, image folder etc.

If you are in Site Manager, in the right pane where you put the site details, there's also an Advanced tab. Go to Advanced tab and try putting:

/www/

into the Default remote directory field.

Rgds

Back
Top Bottom