Advise on building an built-in Desk PC

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping if anyone here can give me some advise/suggestions on how to start to build a built-in desk PC.

This is my current Rig:

CPU: Intel-Core i5-4670k 3.4Ghz
CPU Cooler - Noctua - NH-D14
Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150
Memory - Corsair - 8GB X2 (Total 16GB) DDR3-1600
Storage - Not Important (2x SSD)
Video Card - GeForce GTX 1080
Power - Fractal Design Newton R3 800W

Issues I'm facing is where to find or purchase a motherboard holder? I can't simply screw the motherboard into wood as it would require a certain height for air flow.

Does anyone know a website or place in the UK where to purchase these parts?

Thanks,
Seb

Why not? I believe PC screws to be M3 machine thread, although double check with calipers. Drill through the wood from the underside and use a long enough machine screw in combination with hex standoffs IMO

Wouldn't this potentially cause a fire to happen due to heat generated by the Motherboard? I just don't want to damage anything due to noobish mistakes which could have been avoided. I read online that it's recommended to use a motherboard mount?

You could do what I am doing and take a old case to pieces and use it as parts. I am also building my pc into my desk and took a old Antec case apart and am using the motherboard tray and I/O PCI slots as a base. I wouldn't bolt the motherboard straight to a wooden base as I want some airflow under it as the areas around the cpu socket, chipset and VRM's can get quite warm on the rear of the board.

I thought of doing the exact same thing however, my case doesn't come apart since its all made as one. I have the Corsair - 300R ATX Mid Tower.

Then offices and homes up and down the land would be ablaze all the time from dusty PCs with plastic rich cases :p As long as nothing is shorting out the temperatures aren't high enough. Even CPU/GPU cores (assuming they didn't throttle/shut down, which they do) aren't high enough to ignite wood.

A motherboard mount may make it easier securing the board but hardly essential. Lian Li do a couple of different trays, can't link here as on competitor sites. Is it worth the money? For a DIY project I don't think so personally.

Most PCs have, what, ~5mm clearance to case wall? A few 5mm hex nylon/brass spacers, some machine screws (thickness of wood + 2mm and reuse the motherboard screws you have. Only a few quid if bought online.

E: I would ground out the motherboard to the PSU case though

The PSU would be fine with a piece of wood on two sides to hold it in place and probably a little black spray paint to hide it :D

I will look around the DIY shop and see if anything pops out at me that I can use with your suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just placed the stand offs straight into the wood and screwed the motherboard onto them

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...r-one-of-those-pc-in-a-desk-threads.18640206/

Looks great :D question why do you have two separate machines?

i just placed the stand offs straight into the wood and screwed the motherboard onto them

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...r-one-of-those-pc-in-a-desk-threads.18640206/
Also, could you possibly link me to the site where you got the power button?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom