Advise on new system...

Associate
I stumbled upon OcUK through Folding@home a week or two ago. It seems prices and supply beat anything else I could find here in Denmark. These boards seem pretty neat too and pretty helpfull...

And here comes what I need your helpfullness for

Because I have been travelling a bit I have mostly been depending on various laptops, But I miss being able to upgrade, plus overheating seems to slowly burning out my gaming laptop to a point of crashing most games after 5 to 15 minutes of play.

I need to build a new system from scratch.... almost. I've got keyboard and mouse, harddisk and speakers.

What I demand of the system is a Radeon x1900xt, and upgrade potential.
I'd like the cheapest of the cheap but still useable.

Some ram, not necesarily with good timings but neither debilitating. Good enough for play and later I might upgrade it for some higher performance.

A Case that does not have the noiselevel of a disco at the temperature of a volcano but not necesarily the best of the best, looks are nonessential. Again I can upgrade it later when cash flows my way.

A PSU able to pull the lot and preferable bought together with the case for cheapness.

As for a monitor a CRT seem quite fine by me. Flexibility in non-native resolution and ofcourse cheapness. Are there any other brands that could be suggested above the Hyundai? (It is okay to ask for brands as long as no competitors selling them are mentioned.. right?).

The system is mainly a gaming-rig and overclocking is not the plan at the moment. Rather I will probably upgrade the bits and pieces as time goes by and the monthly paycheck comes in ;). When the system becomes top-notch overclocking might be the solution to punish even more performance out of the system....

I made an example of a system that would be within my current budget, but cheaper would be preferable.

Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19'' Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor - Black/Silver £109.95

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail £299.95

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 £109.95

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU £65.50

Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard £69.95

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail £184.95

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition inc. SP2 - OEM £50.95

Sony DWQ30AB 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM £22.85

Subtotal £914.05
VAT £159.96
Total £1,074.01

Oh, and does anybody know how much this lot would cost being sent to Denmark and if the evil Danes would even put more tax on top of the price?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm maybe I should specify some questions I have about my above spec-suggestion.....

Is the RAM okay? I know the next to nothing about RAM. Could i even buy cheaper ram from OcUK? Wich?

Is the Case/PSU able to run the setup?

How about the CPU? Will it utilize the x1900xt well enough?

Soldato
Could get this ram instead ..
Corsair 2GB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 Kit (2x1GB) (VS2GBKIT400C3) (MY-080-CS)
Price: £99.95
But you wont save much, but everything else should be ok, considering your mantra of cheap, cheap, cheap.

Associate
OP
Hehe, thanks.
My plan is to later upgrade, bit by bit

I´d like to get a second x1900, 2x150 raptors (raid 0), better audio card, better Ram and then do some overclocking ;)

But as for now the above system, now that it has been validated, will have to suffice:)

Back
Top Bottom