Advise the clueless person

Soldato
I am looking to get a PC for my son to do 3D modelling, programming (C++ if that makes any difference), Sonar Music Studio, Adobe Photoshop, and some gaming (he plays online games and strategy games). He would need a bit of storage I guess.

I am not made of money (as I guess we all aren't at the moment) so would like to get something that will last him a couple of years or so without having to change stuff but not break the bank at the same time. However, if I need to spend the money I will do so. So basically not a wish list more a practical list - what do I have to spend to do the job.

I would need everything including a monitor (would I need two?).

Thanks for any input you can offer. I am not that clueless I won't be able to stick everything together more don't really know what I would need to get the job done acceptably.

Soldato
OP
Well I don't really have a set budget he needs one and I will get it - I want it to do the job and am prepared to pay whatever really but don't need unnecessary stuff - would 1000-1200 sound about right? Or do I need to spend a lot more?

Soldato
OP
Well first of all thanks for all of the replies don't believe how helpful you chaps are.

Well my lad has just finished his computing MSc and has been working on a game for some time now as part of a CV etc. The only problem was his PC was stolen amongst other things last week and he can't afford a new one. Hence where good old dad comes in!

I want him to be able to do his stuff at a professional level, as he has worked hard, and if it means I have to get a loan albeit but I am happy to spend 1200. But if you guys tell me nope that won't be enough for what my lad will want to do then like I say I'll get the extra money.

I would ideally ask him but he will so no and spend a few months working in a job he doesn't want which is silly hence why I can't ask him what he would need.

Hope that makes sense for the vagueness.

Soldato
OP
I have got the OS and MS Office for him through work as they have this scheme were you get them for free (well postage) from MS direct.

And once again thanks for all the replies.

Soldato
OP
Well I am hoping he knuckles down and gets his project all sorted and doesn't spend too much time playing games! But he's more into the strategy type games and would not play something like Crysis for example.

I hadn't really considered the monitor as being so important but I guess for graphical work the bigger the better. Guess I am putting in some overtime looking at how much the bigger ones cost!

Back
Top Bottom