AEBS

Associate
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with the latest AirPort Extreme Base Station which was delivered today :)

I'm using this in conjunction with a crappy Sagem Sky BB Adsl modem/router (switched wireless off), and I had it up and running literally within minutes. I was impressed how the airport utility launches straight away and guided me through the setup routine also. I think this is the first network type product I've purchased which I haven't needed to faff around with for ages!

I now have a dual band wi-fi network which my iPad2 and iPhone4 are happy to connect to (Mac and Apple TV connected via ethernet).

I originally had my iMac connected to the std 2.4GHz sky wi-fi which was extremely flaky at best, always dropping out and frustrating to use, so I then purchased some D-Link EoP plugs which have been fantastic. My latest gripe has been the wifi performance for my other devices around the house, namely iPhone and iPad so thought I would give an AEBS a try.

From my speed test results, the 5GHz band is significantly quicker than the old 2.4Ghz band on my compatible portable devices, and even quicker than my ethernet over power connected iMac! So overall a good result I feel.

Are there any optimisations people make to get even better performance? Would a proper modem help instead of the Sagem modem/router combo?

I have the country set to 'UK', multicast to 'Low' and Transmit Power to '100%' with wide channels turned on. Are there any other tweaks I should be making?

Back
Top Bottom