Aerophagia-anyone had it?

Soldato
Ideally from swimming... how have you coped/fixed it?
My technique is poor, that's the crux of it but seeing as I have a 2.4 mile sea swim to do this weekend I don't really have time to correct that :/
Sitting on the sofa for an hour or two seems to work the air bubbles back up a bit but I'd like to find a quicker fix.

Alternatively... Why am I swallowing so much air whist swimming? :D
I use a nose clip btw... could that be related?

Associate
I’m not sure there is a quick fix. Ultimately it’s your technique and breathing. Sounds like you are gasping for breathe too much. Do you breathe out during your stroke? If you don’t (a lot of people hold their breathe) then you probably are struggling to get a good lung full so you will gasp to try get every last bit of air. Breathing out is important for body position and can help with sinking legs also. I also think that Popeye breathing helped me a bit when I used to do same

Soldato
OP
Popeye breathing?
Yeah breathing out under water, started using a nose clip as even whilst fully expelling through the nose, come evening time my sinuses would be so full of crap. The nose clip helps, and I'm happy breathing out under water with my head low, looking straight down (not forward) as like you say it keeps the legs up.
My swimming feels sustainable, ie after doing the ~4km race distance OW i don't feel like I'm gasping for air and in trouble. Although like you say, perhaps I'm taking a sharp inhale each time, spitting any water out and swallowing some air...

Hmm... Alka seltzer maybe?

Back
Top Bottom