Afghanistan and tourism...

Soldato
Yep **** hole countries offer nothing to me. It's a shame Egypt has so much interesting antiquity.
Never understood the attraction of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam.
Is it the power trip of being a white westerner?

Very superior European white male here.

What gives your the impression visiting those countries has anything to do with some sort of power trip?

Caporegime
What gives your the impression visiting those countries has anything to do with some sort of power trip?
Anyone I've ever met saying so.
They love the attention, the financial power and other benefits of being westerner.
Poverty doesn't appeal to me personally. It's a me thing.

My best school friend married a Cambodian, they lived in Bangkok where he was a sub editor for one of the largest English newspapers, he agreed. Maybe it's different living there to just being a backpacker tourist.

Last edited:
Associate
They love the attention, the financial power and other benefits of being westerner.

My best school friend married a Cambodian, they lived in Bangkok where he was a sub editor for one of the largest English newspapers, he agreed. Maybe it's different living there to just being a backpacker tourist.

Yeah I'm not sure anyone is going because poverty appeals to them ....... People do go as it's cheaper and nicer then a lot of Europe or America....and just because our money goes further out in Asia it does not mean that everyone is poor.... someone earning a lot less in Cambodia can have a nicer life then they someone on middle income here with the cost of everything......

Soldato

my wife is Thai and I’ve met a lot of her friends & Thai community in the Uk that have western partners & I’ve also been to Thailand many times and I have never seen or heard any evidence of western people enjoying some kind of power trip, nor have I received any special attention when in Thailand or received any other benefits (not even sure what these benefits there are?)

financial power / poverty - you give the impression you think these countries are just full of impoverished people ?

Soldato
I hear Beirut is nice this time of year.

I went to Beirut back in 2006, it was amazing. They'd rebuilt the main street and had an art expedition the full length of it. Poster sized photographs of what it looked like before the war and what it looked like after. They had done an incredible job of rebuilding it to match the before photos. It was easy to see why it was called the Paris of the east. People were friendly, the food incredible. Lots of building around the city were still shot to pieces from the war. Such a shame what has happened there.

Caporegime
financial power / poverty - you give the impression you think these countries are just full of impoverished people ?
Leave the cities and relatively they are..
This isn't even a discussion it's just facts and reality. You should be able to see it first hand.....
I'm not into that kind of lifestyle "choice" so I'll skip it.

You've already provided a link to Europe for your wife and her family, They don't need to work on you anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Leave the cities and relatively they are..
This isn't even a discussion it's just facts and reality. You should be able to see it first hand.....
I'm not into that kind of lifestyle "choice" so I'll skip it.

You've already provided a link to Europe for your wife and her family, They don't need to work on you anymore.
no one is denying there’s poverty but anyways it seems your perception of the country and the reasons western people go there is skewed so I won’t waste anymore time trying to correct

And for the record my wife and I have nothing to do with her family except for one brother who doesnt gain anything from having a western brother in law except maybe for maybe a talking point.

Back
Top Bottom