Aftermarket Alarm Help

Soldato
Hi,

My Mondeo has some aftermarket alarm.

I am not sure who make it. The fob says "Stirling" on it and there is a small sticker on the back of the fob and it says Toad on that.

One thing I have never dealt with are aftermarket alarm set ups.

How are they fitted? Where are they fitted?

I would like to revert back to the original Ford setup which was apparently faulty (I imagine it is on of the ajar switches or something simple like that) However, I cannot put the alarm into test mode with the aftermarket kit in place.

So what I am really asking is what the hell does this aftermarket kit consist of, who make it, where is it installed in the car, what am I looking for?

Cheers,

Chris

Soldato
OP
F355 said:
Like I said last weekend it really depends where the installer wants to put it (which can be anywhere!).

I think your best bet is find some aftermarket wiring (say from the blinking LED, siren or door lock solenoids) then just trace it back to the alarm.
Well I have rooted around near the fuse box and under the seats and there are no modules there.

Which leaves behind the steering wheel. From when I broke my last mondeo there are definately modules there but I dont recall which ones.

Soldato
OP
F355 said:
spro.jpg

That's what you are looking for. I am sure there was something under the passenger seat the same kind of size. :)
Cannot see anything Ian?!?

Soldato
OP
F355 said:
The modules around the steering columb will be for the factory alarm and immob.
Yes I know, so perhaps the aftermarket one is there too.

I need to remove the aftermarket stuff so i can put the Ford stuff into diagnostics mode and search for problems.

Soldato
OP
splitz said:
Try behind the drivers kick panel. Also why do you have to disable the aftermarket alarm to enable test mode for the factory alarm? They should work independantly from each other.
Well 8 presses of the ajar sensor or bonnet catch doesnt do anything, whereas with ford kit i believe it does.

Soldato
OP
Very early Mk2 mondeo yes the door ajar sensors were in the doors, but around R reg onwards they moved them onto the B and C pillars.

If you press one of the sensors 8 times consecutively on the Mondeo it goes into diagnostics mode.

I have used the diagnostics before on my last mondeo to find out that the door ajar sensor and barrel lock sensor were both knackered in the drivers door.

However, I dont think I can get the car into diag. mode due to the aftermarket alarm fitted.

Soldato
OP
The problem I have is that the passenger door (front) intermittently works when open or closed is pressed on the fob.

I do not know if this is a wiring problem, solenoid in the door etc...

I do not mind the aftermarket alarm, it's as functional as the Ford but I am trying to find out why the passenger door is iffy.

Also, when it comes to insurance what "class" does my alarm fall under?

Soldato
OP
Cheers Ben,

The solenoids go for <£5 on ebay anyway and I expect the same from a breakers or the owners forums so will pick one up before hacking other stuff apart.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, found the alarm today.

Also did some research and it is a "Toad Sterling Pro-CL".

So, what should I tell my insurers when they ask about security?

I am quite sure that the Ford alarm module hs been completely removed. IIRC from when I broke my GhiaX for spares it was in the drivers footwell and in this Ghia Estate there are 3 multi plugs there loose, disconnected.

I think I will get a new solenoid for the passenger door and try that out too.

EDIT - Is anybody familiar with this alarm. It has what looks like an antenna cable coming out of the module and also another cable not connected to anything.

Also, what's the best way to extend the range of the fob?

Soldato
OP
alarm.jpg

Here is a pic I have just taken. I assume the skinny wire is the aerial.

I was curious to know what the other cable was, the bundled up one?

I have added you to my MSN too, hope you don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom