Aio cooler for 2950x

Soldato
@doyll

you'll like the next gen versions then :)
I'll assume you are speaking of next gen Liqtech TR4 and no, I do not recommend it. From what I have read of owners posting on internet by owners of Liqtech TR4 having taken weeks to get a reply, much longer to get replacements, and not being offered a refund when there is a known problem I cannot recommend them. While most have got replacements it took way longer than it should have taken for them to get those replacements .. and several have had the replacements suffer same problems. So no, no recommendation here. :p

Soldato
I'll assume you are speaking of next gen Liqtech TR4 and no, I do not recommend it. From what I have read of owners posting on internet by owners of Liqtech TR4 having taken weeks to get a reply, much longer to get replacements, and not being offered a refund when there is a known problem I cannot recommend them. While most have got replacements it took way longer than it should have taken for them to get those replacements .. and several have had the replacements suffer same problems. So no, no recommendation here. :p

Silent loop ;)

Associate
OP
I decided to give the EK mlc Phoenix a go after reading loads of reviews of the enermax unit i'm not sure i can trust it until the second gen units are out and reviewed. I had a measure up lastnight and it's going to be VERY close at the front with a 360 rad in the front of my air 540 and the 1080's. Am i wrong in thinking that with the EK semi modular stuff i could put a 240 rad in the top of the case if i needed more cooling? Kind of a step between AIO & a full custom loop? I could be miles off though.

Soldato
Silent loop ;)
Yes, I recommend be quiet! Silent Loop AIOs. If you get one service it at least every 18months if not yearly. All H2O loops need to be cleaned and serviced regualry. ;)

I decided to give the EK mlc Phoenix a go after reading loads of reviews of the enermax unit i'm not sure i can trust it until the second gen units are out and reviewed. I had a measure up lastnight and it's going to be VERY close at the front with a 360 rad in the front of my air 540 and the 1080's. Am i wrong in thinking that with the EK semi modular stuff i could put a 240 rad in the top of the case if i needed more cooling? Kind of a step between AIO & a full custom loop? I could be miles off though.
Had not looked at EK-MLC Phoenix, but then with all the peeps who have had problems with EK-WB customer support I don't look at them. Looks like the only reason it cools any better than something like be quiet! Silent Loop 280 or 360mm is because of higher noise, higher performance fans. Looks to be a decent product. Please let us know how it all works out.

Associate
OP
Had not looked at EK-MLC Phoenix, but then with all the peeps who have had problems with EK-WB customer support I don't look at them. Looks like the only reason it cools any better than something like be quiet! Silent Loop 280 or 360mm is because of higher noise, higher performance fans. Looks to be a decent product. Please let us know how it all works out.
I certainly will do, If it's no good it will be returned and maybe i'll look at a custom loop, Just don't think i could swing that past the wife along with a new cpu, mobo, ram & cooler! ;)

Soldato
I certainly will do, If it's no good it will be returned and maybe i'll look at a custom loop, Just don't think i could swing that past the wife along with a new cpu, mobo, ram & cooler! ;)

While custom loops do cool a little better they are more a hobby than a necessity .. kinda like building fancy custom computer builds or buliding a custom car. Both are expensive and those that do it enjoy doing it. AIOs are an attempt to give users something similar to custom loop without the cost and hassle of building. Problem is none are built with the quality parts similar to what is used in custom builds. Swiftech is the leader in AIOs, Alphacool OEM are next, and now we have EK-WB. Looking at their website I see no waterblock and pump specifications, as in base size, fin area, pump flowrate and lift, etc. If you have any of those specs or links to them would you please share them?

Associate
OP
So after a few weeks of testing now i'm very happy with the noise & performance of the EKWB mlc phoenix. The 360mm rad was a squeeze in the case (corsair air 540), It meant i lost the front most hot swap bay in the bottom but that's not really a problem as i rarely hot swapped drives anyway!

In my 22°C room it idles around 28-30°C with PBO enabled and isn't audible at all, After encoding for a few hours it gets up to around 58°C with the odd spike to 63°C and with the fans on a quiet setting in speedfan 5 it is still quite quiet. I may swap the fans out for some noctua's in the future if the noise starts to bother me or i need a bit more performance.

Price wise, Yes it was more expensive than competitors but i do like the fact i could throw my gfx into the loop in future if i wanted. Zero leaks is also a massive bonus after the last generation!!

Soldato
So after a few weeks of testing now i'm very happy with the noise & performance of the EKWB mlc phoenix. The 360mm rad was a squeeze in the case (corsair air 540), It meant i lost the front most hot swap bay in the bottom but that's not really a problem as i rarely hot swapped drives anyway!

In my 22°C room it idles around 28-30°C with PBO enabled and isn't audible at all, After encoding for a few hours it gets up to around 58°C with the odd spike to 63°C and with the fans on a quiet setting in speedfan 5 it is still quite quiet. I may swap the fans out for some noctua's in the future if the noise starts to bother me or i need a bit more performance.

Price wise, Yes it was more expensive than competitors but i do like the fact i could throw my gfx into the loop in future if i wanted. Zero leaks is also a massive bonus after the last generation!!

I'm going for this option too. I just need to mod my Corsair 600T to get a 360mm to fit. Worth a bit more for the convenience and as you say a GPU can be added later.

Associate

I am about to drop my "hard earned" cash on one and then add a gpu block later when the stupid 2080 prices come down. How is the pump noise on the EK? I am very sensitive to pump hum/noise and can you control the PWM of the pump using MB header?

Back
Top Bottom