AIO Rad in top or front Question....

Associate
Hey all, running the rig in my sig and just wondered what the general consensus was on the placement of an AIO radiator?

Currently have mine on the front with 4 x 140mm push pull configuration. Other than 1 other 120mm intake case fan in the bottom i have no other intake and am concerned that once the rad heats up a bit its then blowing warm air into my case.

If i place the rad in the top i will then be blowing warm air from the case over the rad...

Not entirely sure which option is better to be honest and would appreciate a little professional input.

Thanks.

Soldato
Or rad on top, fans drawing air in - that way your CPU cooler gets fresh air from outside. Pair that with an exhaust fan at the back to draw the warm AIO air out immediately. Still install a couple of fans in the front drawing air in so your GPU and motherboard has fresh air too.

Associate
There are lots of different opinions on what is best, all have similar results. I personally have the radiator on top and pulling fresh air in from the top, front fans pulling air in and rear fan as exhaust. Just because i can with the case i have i'm able to have two fans on the bottom pushing air out too.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the input guys.

I have now switched the rad to the top with 2 x 140mm exhaust blowing through the rad, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust and 3 x 120mm intake in the front.

Was initially concerned with the rad in the front as it was blowing warmer air onto my 2080ti, the GPU temps have now decreased which is a good result.

Removing the push pull from the rad has had no effect at all and CPU temps remain the same as before so all in all a fairly positive result.

Associate
it all depends on your case you are using a somewhat on what other hardware you have crammed in there

Some rules of thumb

Intake on the front=Good for cpu temps but worse for ambient case and gpu temp
Exhaust on top= average all round usually,gonna end up recycling some of gpu heat up into the rad in most circumstances
Intake on top= Good for Cpu,ambient case and gpu temps however will depend on how the rest of your airflow is setup.

Imo if you can do it intake on top is always the best,make sure you have a nice strong exhaust fan and some decent intakes at the front and it will be the best option in any decent case

Back
Top Bottom