Air conditioning units?!

Soldato
Hi all,

I need an air conditioning unit because I honestly don't think I will survive through the summer with my bedroom this hot.
Are the portable unit's worth it?
I am looking at spending a max of around £400 as long as It's good.

Any advice?!

Soldato
OP
I've had a look at homebase, but I don't really understand the BTU numbers etc...

Is their a particular make/model I should be looking at?
Do they actualy work?!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the info, certainly sounds like I will go for one.
I have one of those terrible £40 ones at the moment, it actualy makes the room hotter....
My room is seriously hot, today it reached 28C and I think it was around 24C outside? God knows what it will be like later this weak, last year it reached 33C!!!

Soldato
OP
Phog said:
That is the main reason why my room gets hot. It's a toss up between death by heat or death my moth. I plan to put some sort of fine netting over my window this year to allow decent air flow while blocking invading insects.

I'm doing the same, but it isn't the moths that are bothering me, It's the 3 inch hornets!..

Soldato
OP
Right, you can only order the one at Homebase online and it takes 7 days to deliver. I just phoned Homebase and they have their own one, which is exactly the same at the one above, same price and everything, but a different name and they have it at their store. I am going to pick it up later and see what It's like.

Soldato
OP
KingAdora said:
When you get a sec, give us a review. I might pop down and buy the same one, save waiting for it to be delivered :)

I am leaving in about 30 mins to get it, so should have it set up in about an hour or two.

Soldato
OP
Right, just got it up and running.

It is a lot more heavy than my stupid air cooling thing. The pipe and intructions etc is almost hidden at the bottom of the box, took me a while to find it.
Pretty easy to setup, nice and easy instructions. The pipe was not long enough to reach my top fan light window, which was very annoying. At first I turned it on with the pipe half in and half out, and it was blowing out bloody hot air out of the pipe back into my room. I moved it and put the pipe out my big window and it was much better, my room temp is now 22C I think it was around 28C before I turned it on - and it is still dropping.

Over all It's pretty good, apart from the pipe simply is not long ehough, it should be twice the length and the pipe needs to be properly out the window, or it will blow very hot air back into the room. It is noisey but that doesnt bother me at all, at least It's keeping my room at a very nice temp.

It's doing a nice job, very pleased I got it and worth the money - also has 1yr warranty. 200 times better than my old "air cooler" that didn't do anything...
It does take a while to lower the actual room temp, which is normal, so don't expect it to suddenly drop within a few minutes...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Replicant said:
How noisy is this, compared to say an xbox 360, can i return it to homebase if not satisfied, can it be up an running for an hour an then switched off but still keep the room cool for a good while.

It is pretty noisey, hard to saw how noisey - I will try and find out. I expect you could take it back if you are not satisfied, best to phone Homebase and find out.
I haven't turned mine off yet so I don't know how long it will stay cool, it will depend on loads of things like if you have PC's etc running, if the window is open... It's now just 21C in my room, so much better so I don't mind about the noise.

By the way, they had one already running in Homebase so you can see what It's like, but it wont be exactly the same as they didnt have the pipe out the window or anything, but you can get an idea of the size and noise, etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Replicant said:
Just bought one today, was priced at £149.99 so a little cheaper than the web price, no demo units to be seen however. you were right about the hose it could do with being longer, i was expecting it to be a softer material rather than the hard plastic, but its still quite flexible and with the black plastic part manages to vent the hot air well.

Are you using the unit itself to obtain the room temp, mine seems to start at about 30 but doesn't seem to be dropping below 26 after being on for about an hour, settings are high and cool, any advice to achieve the lower temps?

Also, whats a fan light window :confused:

It should be dropping below 26C. Make sure all the windows and doors are closed, and the window you are using for the pipe should be shut as much as it can. When I first got it, for some reason it did take a while to get really cool - but it works like magic now. This morning I woke up and my room was 26C, 10 mins after the air con being on it was 21C, which is much nicer.
BTW, I managed to find another bit of hose that actualy fits so it is now extended. :D

How cold is the air coming out? My feels absolutely freezing when I put my hand infront, make sure yours is the same because sometimes it doesn;t seem to start up properly and it blows rather warm out. Make sure the hose is completely out the window, because it blows out pretty damn hot air.

Soldato
OP
Jon Frost said:
awsome i'll do that tomorrow, are they £150 in the shop then?

Jon :)

I think it depends what Homebase store you go to... I bought mine a few days ago and it was £169 with no discount :( Others I think got it cheaper.

Soldato
OP
I empty my water about once a day, although I don't NEED to, but when I hear it I usualy empty it. I got an old baking tray and leave it under the unit and let it drip out sometimes.

zain: My guess is you are talking about those water cooled 'coolers'. I had one of these - left it on in my room for 1 hour, came back and my room temp had gone from 29C to 34C and the humidy was so unbearable I could not stay in the room any longer. They are absolutely fantastic units for increasing room temps and increasing humidity. I wish you all the best!

I usualy leave my air con on for about 30 mins before I go to bed, then I switch it off and try and drop off to sleep quickly.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom