Air conditioning units?!

I cannot understand why anyone in the UK would need air conditioning.

Yeah I wonder why,

2e501gp.jpg

That's over a hundred degrees Fahrenheit
25gwbis.gif

That's what happens when I have all my systems on in my room, curtains drawn and regular 12" fan oscillating.

I think this is why I've held of for so long buying a portable air con becuase there is so many mixed opinions about them, you say they are not worth it yet,

We got the same one a few weeks back when they were cheaper.

Noisy, but it's nice and chilly in my room now. :D

so who do people believe ?

Soldato
Just bought this one from Homebase. Been on a hour and the bedroom was 24'c now 20'c. Set it to the lowest temp 16'c, so shall see.

The duct could be better but it comes with a proper window kit and is defo not going to be left on during the night for the noise!!

They had the £99 one is stock, but for an extra £15, hopefully it will be better :)

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...lay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=641638

Soldato
Just a heads up to anyone wishing to extend their exhaust hose. The size you need is 125mm diameter. B&Q sell these MArley branded ones for £9.99 for a 1.5M version or £14.99 for the 3M version. The ones listed on the screwfix site are only 100mm diameter and don't have a large enough bore to let the hot air escape quick enough.

I am going to have to keep my window ajar for the pipe to go out, so will that make much of a difference to the temperatures?

I'm going to have do the same once mine arrives, bit worried about that myself tbh, my windows open on a hinge like a door so I can't imagine any window kit being able to fit that very easily, If I have to I'll get a glass cutter and make a hole in the window :p.

Associate
Just a heads up to anyone wishing to extend their exhaust hose. The size you need is 125mm diameter. B&Q sell these MArley branded ones for £9.99 for a 1.5M version or £14.99 for the 3M version. The ones listed on the screwfix site are only 100mm diameter and don't have a large enough bore to let the hot air escape quick enough.

I just bought a 3m 125mm one off ebay for less than a tenner including postage - the ducting on the £115 homebase 1200 btu unit was too short for me - hopefully won't take too long to arrive so I can test it out.

On a side note did anyone else with one of the units notice the instuctions mentioned a remote sensor window on the device yet no remote is included.

Soldato
Yeah got a remote with mine. time to carry that heavy slab back for an exchange :D

j/k, mine did not either, odd because the £99 comes with one!

Just looked at the instructions and also on the Trouble Shooting page it mentions under Problem "Does not Run" " Batteries in the remote control exhausted"

Last edited:
Soldato
See my post above for people with windows that open a hinge at the top, the pipe will convert the 125mm round pipe to a rectangle output without damaging flow. Works perfectly and saves the need to cut holes.

Manrose Round Pipe to Channel Connector 125mm And a bit of duct tape is all you need. :D

Soldato
bought one off argos yesterday, £122, can't complain really, wasn't looking to spend a lot and i know it's half decent because we have the same one at work :D 12,000 BTU, even has a heater built in for winter use, dehumidifier etc

Soldato
bought one off argos yesterday, £122, can't complain really, wasn't looking to spend a lot and i know it's half decent because we have the same one at work :D 12,000 BTU, even has a heater built in for winter use, dehumidifier etc

Exactly the same as mine less remote control and the back panel is black. Answers a previous question above that mine must be compatible with a remote control.

Soldato

I think I have changed my mind about buying a second hand one because if it breaks in 1 months time then I have nothing. I am tempted by this Argos one, but I can't tell whether it is available for instore pickup or not.

Also, any chance you can take some photos of it please?

Soldato
I think I have changed my mind about buying a second hand one because if it breaks in 1 months time then I have nothing. I am tempted by this Argos one, but I can't tell whether it is available for instore pickup or not.

Do you have a car to get it home, busing it is not an option it weights just shy of 50kg's!!

Soldato

I went to get one from there store but it wasn't in the catalog in my local store so i had to get it delivered, might be available in some of the bigger stores though.

I can take some piccys when it's delivered, only ordered it yesterday though and they said it could take up to 14 days for delivery :( (7 days is the norm apparently) really wanted it for this week too

Man of Honour
Best bit of electrical gear I have ever bought. I got one about 12 years back and to this day I still use the device. Nice, cool and deep sleeps no matter how hot it is and oddly the noise it makes is missed when its not on!

Soldato
Best bit of electrical gear I have ever bought. I got one about 12 years back and to this day I still use the device. Nice, cool and deep sleeps no matter how hot it is and oddly the noise it makes is missed when its not on!

Wish my g/f was so accomodating. Already had the talk re it going off when we goto bed!!!

Back
Top Bottom