Air Or AIO Cooling?

Associate
Cool, can you update us on what you think of it once fitted please

Hi, Well I have installed the Cryorig R1 Ultimate I've put an extra fan on it (XF140), 3 in total on this behemoth, My temps are down about 3-5c from the 412s at idle, i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz, Intel burn test max load on the 412s was 77c on the R1 it's 68c so 9c drop at max load on IBT, R1 is a fraction louder but I think that's because it's three fans instead of two, Plus these are bigger fans than the SP120's.

Looks a lot better than the other massive heatsink coolers imo, here is a couple of pictures of the R1 Ultimate in my Corsair Air 540 check out how close it is too the exhaust fan! :D oh yeah I activated the warranty cards that come with it, It has a 6 year warranty, Not sure what could happen maybe one heatsink falling off! :p

I also got in contact with them about the red rubber anti vibration pads that the fans hook on too, I had asked them where I could get them as they don't sell them yet, They have asked me for postage costs I don't even think they're going to charge me for them, All the right markings for Cryorig to become massive.

iXpQ7iZ.jpg

KEQ6X5Q.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice looking cooler mate, I'd try it without the 3rd fan closest to your exhaust, the exhaust is only going to pull the air from it anyway so doubt you'll see much of a difference in temps without the 3rd fan

I want an air cooler again but I have to use an AIO on my GPU so until I get a new GPU I wont have the space to mount an air cooler for the CPU so its going to be next build :(

Last edited:
Associate
Or remove the case exhaust fan. What is your case and case fan layout?

Corsair air 540, 3 120 front intakes, 2 140 exhausts on top, 1 exhaust at the back where cpu cooler is, I am thinking about putting the top right exhaust fan as intake but not sure if that would create a loop of hot air coming out of the PC then getting taken back in again.

Soldato
Corsair air 540, 3 120 front intakes, 2 140 exhausts on top, 1 exhaust at the back where cpu cooler is, I am thinking about putting the top right exhaust fan as intake but not sure if that would create a loop of hot air coming out of the PC then getting taken back in again.
It would create a loop. I would use the top right as intake with top left unplugged or removed.

Experiment with removing the unused PCIe slot covers and covering the top left vent. This might move cool air in front of CPU cooler as well as more cool air to the GPU fans by improvign the airflow front to back around the GPU

I use a cheap digital remote sensor thermometer like indoor/outdoor or aquarium / terrarium ones to monitor case airflow temps and air temps going to components.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26159770&postcount=7

Soldato
I have a corsair h105 aio and while I like it, the pump is starting to make noise. Thinking about going aircooling, but hate the huge chucky air coolers. Is there a smaller low profile air cooler that does the job of a corsair aio?

Soldato
I have a corsair h105 aio and while I like it, the pump is starting to make noise. Thinking about going aircooling, but hate the huge chucky air coolers. Is there a smaller low profile air cooler that does the job of a corsair aio?
Yes.
Kinda hard to say what would work for you.
Your question is like saying I have a cat that meows a little and I'm thinking of getting a dog that is not big and chunk .. kinda like a cat. :D

Something like TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A, NH-U14s, Macho 120, H5, Mugen, etc. But without knowing the details of your system it's impossible to know what to suggest.

Soldato
Yes.
Kinda hard to say what would work for you.
Your question is like saying I have a cat that meows a little and I'm thinking of getting a dog that is not big and chunk .. kinda like a cat. :D

Something like TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A, NH-U14s, Macho 120, H5, Mugen, etc. But without knowing the details of your system it's impossible to know what to suggest.

lol

i7 6700k 4.5 ghz
Gigabyte z170 gaming 7
16gb DDR4 hyper X
Titan X
Super flower 1000watt platinum
Evolv ATX

Soldato
lol

i7 6700k 4.5 ghz
Gigabyte z170 gaming 7
16gb DDR4 hyper X
Titan X
Super flower 1000watt platinum
Evolv ATX
Lots of mobo clearance; 71mm to first PCIe (x4) so no problem to x16 at all. RAM is 53mm from center of CPU to near side of socket.
EVOLV ATX has all kinds of CPU clearance.
I think Hyper X are 30mm tall.

But I goofed. :o
Didn't ask what the definition of "huge chucky air coolers" is. :D
Any Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 is good. As quiet and cool as well as NH-D14 .. actually 2dBA quieter and 1.3c warmer which is well within margin of error.

Matterhorn Pure is not quite as good, but still very good, especially for £29.99. OcUK is expecting some in soon.

Cryorig H5 is a very nice looking cooler.

Soldato
Lots of mobo clearance; 71mm to first PCIe (x4) so no problem to x16 at all. RAM is 53mm from center of CPU to near side of socket.
EVOLV ATX has all kinds of CPU clearance.
I think Hyper X are 30mm tall.

But I goofed. :o
Didn't ask what the definition of "huge chucky air coolers" is. :D
Any Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 is good. As quiet and cool as well as NH-D14 .. actually 2dBA quieter and 1.3c warmer which is well within margin of error.

Matterhorn Pure is not quite as good, but still very good, especially for £29.99. OcUK is expecting some in soon.

Cryorig H5 is a very nice looking cooler.

All those coolers are too big. Was thinking maybe half those size? Will look around for some small if not then I'll just stay with aio.

Soldato
All those coolers are too big. Was thinking maybe half those size? Will look around for some small if not then I'll just stay with aio.

Sorry, but you are looking at the big picture.

The aesthetics of air coolers vs CLC vs custom loop are personal choices we all have our own thoughts on, I can understand you not liking the looks of air coolers. But it does take area to dissipate heat regardless of type of cooler used.

Cooling is about radiating heat. Look at physic size of your radiator .. 120x280x50mm (1680cu cm) for just the radiator and fans plus the fittings, hoses, pump and waterblock. TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A is 155x165x79mm (2020cu cm) total area. no hoses, no pump, no waterblock taking up additional space. That is 340cu cm bigger or 70x70x70mm .. about the size of pump & waterblock without fittings and hoses.

Associate
Well Doyll, I have disconnected the front left fan up top of my corsair air 540, Turned over the top right one to intake air, It's actually dropped my temps by 3-4c, Cheers. 65c max load on intel burn test.

Soldato

Well Doyll, I have disconnected the front left fan up top of my corsair air 540, Turned over the top right one to intake air, It's actually dropped my temps by 3-4c, Cheers. 65c max load on intel burn test.
3-4c is a nice improvement! :D
I figure if I make enough suggestions I'm bound to get one right once in awhile. :p

Associate
3-4c is a nice improvement! :D
I figure if I make enough suggestions I'm bound to get one right once in awhile. :p

I was actually surprised when I saw it, Did not think "stopping one fan" and turning one over to intake would drop it that much :D

Soldato
Sorry, but you are looking at the big picture.

The aesthetics of air coolers vs CLC vs custom loop are personal choices we all have our own thoughts on, I can understand you not liking the looks of air coolers. But it does take area to dissipate heat regardless of type of cooler used.

Cooling is about radiating heat. Look at physic size of your radiator .. 120x280x50mm (1680cu cm) for just the radiator and fans plus the fittings, hoses, pump and waterblock. TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A is 155x165x79mm (2020cu cm) total area. no hoses, no pump, no waterblock taking up additional space. That is 340cu cm bigger or 70x70x70mm .. about the size of pump & waterblock without fittings and hoses.

Thanks for the help and info, but think I'm just going to stick with AIO. Might just buy the newer model Corsair H100i GTX.

Back
Top Bottom