Airpods 2 theories

Soldato
So anyone who loves airpods use them loads, I recently got some and have to say they're fantastic....who's waiting on airpods 2?

And what's your wish list for them? For me it has to be black colour, shorter 'stems' so they vanish under my hat, noise cancellation and more gestures or tap controls, and wireless charging which is a given anyway....whats others thoughts?

Soldato
Just in black would do me fine but I doubt it would happen. The wire airpods/earpods design is pretty much free advertising for them. Think they're perfect as they are. Maybe a better battery in the charging pod so that it can go even longer between charges.

Soldato
OP
Just in black would do me fine but I doubt it would happen. The wire airpods/earpods design is pretty much free advertising for them. Think they're perfect as they are. Maybe a better battery in the charging pod so that it can go even longer between charges.

Really? The thing I think will defo happen is colours next time...I'm almost certain to match the rest of the line up...space grey, white, rose gold etc. Wireless charging 100%. The rest I'm not sure .... I hope better sound quality as well.

Doubt would happen but I'd love a pro line as well, more expensive but much better audio quality and slightly shorter stems.

Soldato
I'd love them in black but I don't see them doing that, hopefully I'm wrong! (which i often am) stem length doesn't bother me at all really. I can sometimes forget I have one in once the music stops. They're releasing a new charging case this/next year which has wireless charging in. I like the look of that wireless charging pad Apple have which will do the iPhone, Watch and Airpods at the same time... But if it actually is the £200 I've seen knocking about, maybe not!

Soldato
OP
I'd love them in black but I don't see them doing that, hopefully I'm wrong! (which i often am) stem length doesn't bother me at all really. I can sometimes forget I have one in once the music stops. They're releasing a new charging case this/next year which has wireless charging in. I like the look of that wireless charging pad Apple have which will do the iPhone, Watch and Airpods at the same time... But if it actually is the £200 I've seen knocking about, maybe not!

Yeah same !!! I have all that hardware so would be cool, but £200 sounds accurate; its apple - apparently it has software integration - but what the software will tell you I have no idea, as those devices already tell you there charging capacity. Its a fairly large pad so I can see them doing something with wireless charging for the macbooks as well in the future as well as ipads etc

Yeah I'm a hat wearer so thats the only reason i want shorter stems, so i dont look like i have earrings popping out from under my beanie hat haha

Soldato
I sent my AirPods back because one of them stopped working and O2 couldn't replace them due to stock issues, so I'm patiently waiting for the AP2s before I buy them again.

The thing I would like to see most of all is adding controls on the AirPods themselves — a slide up or down the stem for volume and a single tap for play/pause with a double tap for Siri would make them perfect IMHO.

Soldato
The thing I would like to see most of all is adding controls on the AirPods themselves — a slide up or down the stem for volume and a single tap for play/pause with a double tap for Siri would make them perfect IMHO.

This for me, also I would love a heart rate sensor in there as I'm pretty much always wearing headphones in the gym but couldn't wear a watch (and I'm not cool enough to get away with a chest strap ;)).

Currently have Powerbeats 3 which are fantastic tbh but definitely on their last legs, had them well over 3 years now and I've repaired them 3 or 4 times! Admittedly it's mostly me sitting on them / dropping things on them / leaving them in the bottom of my gym bag etc.

Soldato
:confused: They're in plenty of competitors products? Even mainstream guff from Bose & Samsung. So yes, a HRM please!

Wasn't familiar with headphones having that built into it. I just use my watch for heart rate monitoring. Just don't think it's a feature AirPods need. If anything I expect them to put it in the Beats range of active wear.

Soldato
OP
Not so fussed about controls on them - dont need them - we only need more options to taps which can be done in software - 1,2,3 taps each, each doing something different L/R. (id say 1R = volume up 1L=down, 2R = skip track, 2L = pause, 3R = siri, 3L = no idea !! something else! lol - maybe shuffle album or something)

HR sensor - sure why not, it can be used to verify the watch - my fit bit and my series 3 watch give wildly different heart rates and step counts........

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that what I would like will never happen - A different surface, some kind of rubber/silicon to improve the fit.

I know AirPods (and EarPods) are like marmite when it comes to fit but for me, they're perfect as they are.

I also wouldn't want noise cancelling or anything like that — I like the fact that they let in a bit of ambient noise, it makes me feel a lot safer out-and-about, especially while running.

If I need noise cancelling I've got a pair of Bose QCs.

I also have a pair of custom moulded IEMs — they blow pretty everything else away when it comes to sound quality and blocking out the world, but unless you sit perfectly still they're a nightmare. You can't walk in them because you hear every footstep like a huge THUD and even moving your head reverberates all up in your skull…

Soldato
OP
I know AirPods (and EarPods) are like marmite when it comes to fit but for me, they're perfect as they are.

I also wouldn't want noise cancelling or anything like that — I like the fact that they let in a bit of ambient noise, it makes me feel a lot safer out-and-about, especially while running.

This is same for me - I like I can hear around me, makes sense for something that will stay in a lot of the day, also fit me well.

Soldato
I really doubt we will see a re-fresh of these for a few years if ever, especially given how well they are selling. It's not like audio products change much over the years, the only changes I would see would be iterative Bluetooth and battery updates.

What do you want your headphones to actually do? I want them to stay in my ears and play sound. Secondly I would want some kind of simple control to play, pause and take calls.

I also would never expect any kind of noise cancelling. They are just not the right type of design, for noise cancelling you need to isolate as much as the ambient noise as possible otherwise they just don't work. This is either by using IEM's or closed back over ear headphones.

Soldato
OP
I really doubt we will see a re-fresh of these for a few years if ever, especially given how well they are selling. It's not like audio products change much over the years, the only changes I would see would be iterative Bluetooth and battery updates.

What do you want your headphones to actually do? I want them to stay in my ears and play sound. Secondly I would want some kind of simple control to play, pause and take calls.

I also would never expect any kind of noise cancelling. They are just not the right type of design, for noise cancelling you need to isolate as much as the ambient noise as possible otherwise they just don't work. This is either by using IEM's or closed back over ear headphones.

Yeah but saying that the new Iphones have bluetooth 5.0 and thats a large update - so they could release a year after easy - all they need is that - shorter stems, the 3 tap options i outlined above and different colours and they would sell like hot cakes, also more bandwidth in Blue tooth 5 could mean better audio quality.

Commissario

I think you misunderstand me just a tiny fraction - I don't want full tight noise cancelling, just enough slight grippyness to ensure they don't fall out. I can make them stay in my ears by themselves but it's a real struggle to get then in a position to ensure they're not loose. I use Earskinz on my AirPods and they're perfect with those, they're comfortable, they fit well with no chance of them falling out and I can hear ambient noise.

Soldato
Also more bandwidth in Blue tooth 5 could mean better audio quality.

I seriously doubt normal people could tell the difference if the bandwidth was doubled compared with what is available with 4.0. The speaker itself becomes a much more limiting factor due to its size. Later iterations of Bluetooth would probably bring things like power savings and range which are much more important IMO.

Either way 4.0 already supports 24Mbps max, Spotify is ~160kbps and lossless is 1500 kbps. Both are well below what 4.0 is capable of even if you only get 1/10 of the speed in real life.

EDIT: Aparantly A2DP maxes out at 512kbps on stereo so extra bandwidth is meaningless.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I seriously doubt normal people could tell the difference if the bandwidth was doubled compared with what is available with 4.0. The speaker itself becomes a much more limiting factor due to its size. Later iterations of Bluetooth would probably bring things like power savings and range which are much more important IMO.

Either way 4.0 already supports 24Mbps max, Spotify is ~160kbps and lossless is 1500 kbps. Both are well below what 4.0 is capable of even if you only get 1/10 of the speed in real life.

EDIT: Aparantly A2DP maxes out at 512kbps on stereo so extra bandwidth is meaningless.

Fair enough then - but you can have lossless much higher than 1500 if wanted haha :p

But yeah the huge range and power saving increases are good - walk about the whole house and leave phone behind etc.

Id also like apple to add notification on airpods and Apple Watch when the phone goes out range, incase stolen or somet

Soldato
I think you misunderstand me just a tiny fraction - I don't want full tight noise cancelling, just enough slight grippyness to ensure they don't fall out. I can make them stay in my ears by themselves but it's a real struggle to get then in a position to ensure they're not loose. I use Earskinz on my AirPods and they're perfect with those, they're comfortable, they fit well with no chance of them falling out and I can hear ambient noise.

Ah, I see what you mean!

Do you have to remove the Earskinz to fit the AirPods in the charging case?

Back
Top Bottom