AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
We're another 6 weeks down the line, and I'm still gymming with my £20 Phillips wired (c'mon, It's 2020 now) in ear-phones. Still looking at reviews of airpods, still looking at reviews of Sennheisers and still I don't know which to get, if any!

I think the biggest thing to think about is your usage - if it's just listening music then sure, some of the flagship alternatives offer marginally better sound quality, but if it's the whole caboodle like:
- pocketabiltiy (APP vs Sony, APP vs Senns)
- calls
- general integration w/iPhone
- Siri integration

Then the APPs are the no-brainer. Also where you're listening is important - if it's for the gym or a noisy commute then even with ANC etc differences in SQ will be less pronounced than if you listen mostly at an office desk or something.

Associate
Can you pop into an Apple store to try the Pro’s?

Had my reservations about them (mainly about Price) but if they are decent then might be prepared to lay some cash down for some later in the year...

Soldato
Adventures of the reluctant super hero, sounds the same to me.

Sometimes albums get mastered specially for Apple Music, if i remember correctly. Could it be that?

Soldato
Mastered for iTunes was a set of guidelines to be taken into account by the people doing the mastering to hopefully preserving quality by avoiding things like clipping etc (still happens though), but the end product is the end product, so an album on AM is the same master as the one on Spotify... unless it's a different release of the same album... although this only tends to be with older stuff that's been re-released a few times (the dreaded 'remastered version' etc). They use different codecs and bit-rates but the AAC 256 codec Apple uses is more efficient than the MP3 320 Spotify uses so you end up at the same place in the end. Anything else must be down to either the software or volume not being level-matched, as in blind studies when two identical tracks are played but one is very slightly quieter than the other it's perceived to be of lesser fidelity.

Associate
Got my Pros today.

Bit apprehensive at first given how people struggle to get the seal sorted, but used the default medium ones and got a good seal.

Wow. Noise cancelling is absolutely amazing on these things. Just walking along Central London and not hearing the cars was just surreal.

Early days yet but definitely worth the cash.

Soldato
Got my Pros today.

Bit apprehensive at first given how people struggle to get the seal sorted, but used the default medium ones and got a good seal.

Wow. Noise cancelling is absolutely amazing on these things. Just walking along Central London and not hearing the cars was just surreal.

Have you used any other NC headphones? I'd be interested in knowing how these compare to my old Bose QC20 or my current QC35 (I'm looking to switch back to some in ears, the QC35s are too bulky)

Soldato
Have you used any other NC headphones? I'd be interested in knowing how these compare to my old Bose QC20 or my current QC35 (I'm looking to switch back to some in ears, the QC35s are too bulky)
I've had the Bose QC35 IIs and whilst they are amazing and you can feel a light pressure to the ears they are bulky and great for flights, trains etc but to hot and heavy for gym, office calls I found, I've had the Gen 1 AirPods and Gen2 straight into the Pros and I love them, great for everything I need, listening to Spotify in the gym, making calls in the office, running etc

Just wish they would make Spotify offline on the Apple watch then I'd be a happy man!

Soldato
I've had the Bose QC35 IIs and whilst they are amazing and you can feel a light pressure to the ears they are bulky and great for flights, trains etc but to hot and heavy for gym, office calls I found, I've had the Gen 1 AirPods and Gen2 straight into the Pros and I love them, great for everything I need, listening to Spotify in the gym, making calls in the office, running etc

Just wish they would make Spotify offline on the Apple watch then I'd be a happy man!
Cheers!

I'm going to keep hold of the Bose headphones for office use and flights, but want something smaller for running and commuting. The Bose QC20s remain the best I've ever had; I found the NC more effective than the QC35s so I'm inclined to await the new Bose earbuds later this year, but any feedback on how closely the APP match the QC35s in terms of noise cancellation would be really helpful!

Associate
Got my Pros today.

Aaaaaaaaand I think I’m going to take them back and exchange them for another pair of Gen 2’s....

While I can pick up a seal initially with the medium tips, it’s not secure and I’m finding I’m having to constantly push them back in (more so the right ear). I can’t get a seal with the large tips and the small tips again just aren’t secure.

Unfortunate as they are a good bit of kit but I think I’m more suited to the regular ones.

Back
Top Bottom