AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
What about the wireless versions of the Sony ones? They look a lot heavier than the AirPod Pros. I'm still worried at those style earphones falling out even walking.

I had the xm3 and couldn’t get them to fit at all, persisted with a million types of buds for a year and finally gave up a few months ago, now I’ve gone for the AirPods Pro and they seem much better for me. The noise cancelling seemed to me marginally better on the Sony’s but not to a massive amount. Maybe with the new style Sony’s they’ve dropped in weight and centre of gravity. My dad has the xm3’s as well and he’s in the exact same position as me with regards to the fit.

Associate
The Sony just fell out constantly? Trying to see online how they fit. Is wear the Apple AirPod style looks really loose or is that the 1st gen models I wonder?

I've only had the MPOW M30+ so can't compare it to these high-end models. This seems snug though can do with better quality in-ears at some point.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a pair of over ear headphones with noise cancellation that DON'T have a built-in voice assistant. I was planning to buy a pair of the usual suspects from either Bose or Sony, only to find they have 'Alexa' built in. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just want a decent pair of headphones that don't send my voice data to a massive corporation for processing. The Airpods Max are more than I want to spend and I don't see the value at £549 either.

Soldato
The Sony just fell out constantly? Trying to see online how they fit. Is wear the Apple AirPod style looks really loose or is that the 1st gen models I wonder?

I've only had the MPOW M30+ so can't compare it to these high-end models. This seems snug though can do with better quality in-ears at some point.

I'm another user who ditched my XM3 in favour for AirPods Pro.

Soldato
Just buy the Bose or Sony and disable Alexa?

Wouldn’t you need their companion app for that kind of functionality to work? Certainly can’t see it working on the iPhone without.

Soldato
Just buy the Bose or Sony and disable Alexa?

Wouldn’t you need their companion app for that kind of functionality to work? Certainly can’t see it working on the iPhone without.

Well this is what I'm worried about, because I don't have the headphones to check how it works and the product pages aren't clear. If Alexa could be completely disabled I'd have a pair of XM4s, but I'd need to be sure it wasn't listening. I'm one of those people who if I'm in doubt, I back away from a purchase rather than buying and putting up with a fault.

I'd probably buy the Airpod Max but I'd feel guilty at the expenditure because my need for headphones is unproven. I plan to sit listening to music and have the noise cancellation block out everything else. The method might not even work for me and then I've wasted the money.

Soldato
If you are worried about them listening then what’s the difference between Alexa and Siri?

I’m fairly sure on headphones you have to hold a ‘button’ (touch area) to use them anyway.

Soldato
If you are worried about them listening then what’s the difference between Alexa and Siri?

I thought Siri processing was all done 'on device' and never goes to Apple, while Alexa requests are performed remotely and once they leave your device, you have no idea what happens to your voice data.

EDIT from the Apple website: "Siri Data is associated with a random, device-generated identifier. This random identifier is not linked to your Apple ID, email address or other data Apple may have from your use of other Apple services."

Soldato
Siri processing is currently done off device. I say currently because that is changing with the next iOS update.

I don’t know what data Apple will collect going forward.

Soldato
Much different in sound quality or purely on the fitment?

Bit of both really. The WF1000XM3 stuck out too far from my ears so they wouldn't really fit under my motorcycle helmet, the connection quality was a bit rubbish (imo) as frequently had audio cut outs during songs that lasted barely a fraction of a second but was certainly noticeable. I also frequently switched my old AirPods between my watch, phone or iPad so losing that feature when I got the WF1000XM3 was really evident.

I didn't feel the audio quality on either was particularly stronger than the other but I personally found the ANC more impressive on the APP as it suffered less from wind noise (there was a dedicated wind noise setting on the Sony's) and the transparency mode on the APP can make you forget you even have earphones in place.

The Sony's are great earphones I gave them to my partner and I don't think you'd be upset if you bought them. I just personally preferred the APP as a whole package.

Soldato
Much different in sound quality or purely on the fitment?
Airpods are more comfortable but not as good sq wise. There’s a noticeable difference. I can go to sleep with the airpods in and wake up 8 hrs later and they’re still in there and zero discomfort.
Airpods are also better for calls and connectivity.

Associate
Bit of both really. The WF1000XM3 stuck out too far from my ears so they wouldn't really fit under my motorcycle helmet, the connection quality was a bit rubbish (imo) as frequently had audio cut outs during songs that lasted barely a fraction of a second but was certainly noticeable. I also frequently switched my old AirPods between my watch, phone or iPad so losing that feature when I got the WF1000XM3 was really evident.

I didn't feel the audio quality on either was particularly stronger than the other but I personally found the ANC more impressive on the APP as it suffered less from wind noise (there was a dedicated wind noise setting on the Sony's) and the transparency mode on the APP can make you forget you even have earphones in place.

The Sony's are great earphones I gave them to my partner and I don't think you'd be upset if you bought them. I just personally preferred the APP as a whole package.
I've preferred over ears of course as I've always had issues with in ear fitment. At the moment the Mpow M30+, thought yes not comparable in terms of SQ to the WF1000XM3 or APP however the fitment is on par. If the more expensive variants are anything in terms of fitment as well as SQ I have a few choices. Shame I can't try them out first.

Not even gonna mention the Beats in ear variants though full compatibility with the Apple system is a win for ease of use.

Airpods are more comfortable but not as good sq wise. There’s a noticeable difference. I can go to sleep with the airpods in and wake up 8 hrs later and they’re still in there and zero discomfort.
Airpods are also better for calls and connectivity.
I never even thought about that as I tend to fall asleep easily listening or watching anything on my iPad. Yes I have woken up many times with a smack on my head suddenly ha. That's interesting with the fit and comfort.

Soldato
Hi

Is there a good difference in sound quality with the pros compared to the standard AirPods? I have the 1st gen AirPods and thinking about getting the pros, I will also maybe use them for listening to movies via ATV4K occasionally.

I can get the pros for £185 with some discount I have, just unsure if they are worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Commissario
If you can get a good fit and you’re happy with earbuds that seal then yes, they’re an upgrade.

I couldn’t get AirPods Pro to seal in my ears reliably, no matter which of the three tips I used so I returned mine.

Soldato

Sorry mate, I’ve only just seen this, I didn’t get a notification ping on the forum for some reason. I had a really bad time with the Sony’s, tried all of the different tips that came with them and even bought some foam ones that need replacing monthly as the foam wears out but nothing let me put them in my ears and forget about them, I was always waiting to push them in every 30 seconds or so. I got away with using them through winter as I’d wear a beanie hat which kept them secure. My dad had some at the same time as me and he had the exact same issues. Now I’ve got the AirPod pro’s the missus has the older Sony’s and seems to get on with them better than I ever did.

Associate
Sorry mate, I’ve only just seen this, I didn’t get a notification ping on the forum for some reason. I had a really bad time with the Sony’s, tried all of the different tips that came with them and even bought some foam ones that need replacing monthly as the foam wears out but nothing let me put them in my ears and forget about them, I was always waiting to push them in every 30 seconds or so. I got away with using them through winter as I’d wear a beanie hat which kept them secure. My dad had some at the same time as me and he had the exact same issues. Now I’ve got the AirPod pro’s the missus has the older Sony’s and seems to get on with them better than I ever did.
No worries bud no need to apologise for being busy. I just took the plunge and bought these on a deal that started a few days ago. Couldn't refuse the discounted offer ha. As said I only have the Mpow M30+ to compare it to and no doubt the APP will be ace. Now for ongoing research on a good corded high SQ cans setup.

Back
Top Bottom