AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
I have found that the left Airpod doesn't always connect though — The right is always fine but sometimes I have to put them both back in the case, then put the left one in first in order to get them both working…

Shortly after posting this, the left AirPod stopped working all together. I've tried everything suggested online regarding 'rebooting' them but nothing is working. I think it's dead. So now I'm waiting to hear back from O2 about a replacement.

Soldato
Got a set of these for free and to be honest glad I didn't pay for them, my thoughts

Pros
  • Overall design concept is great
  • Charging system works really well
  • Pairing is impressive
  • Sound quality is so/so

Cons
  • No soft fit option (right one doesn't fit so well for me)
  • Noise cancelling/blocking is none existant (partly due to lack of soft fit)
  • Lack of physical controls for volume/track control
  • Sound quality is so/so

I wonder if I had paid for them my opinion would be different as subconsciously I'd be wanting to justify the cost. I've also got a set of the cheap Anker Slim SoundBuds (also BT Wireless) and find myself reaching for those over the AirPods.

Now waiting to see what the general opinion is on the new Bragi Dash PRO earphones as I could be tempted by those once the availability issues are resolved.

Soldato
Shortly after posting this, the left AirPod stopped working all together. I've tried everything suggested online regarding 'rebooting' them but nothing is working. I think it's dead. So now I'm waiting to hear back from O2 about a replacement.
O2 don't have any in stock to replace them, so I'm getting a refund and I'll try and pick some up elsewhere, or wait until the next version comes out, hopefully with better features and a bit more reliablility.

Soldato
I lucked out when I got mine. I was about to accept fate and wait 6 weeks for them but I thought I'd look on the off chance on the app and Apple had them instock and i picked them up the same day

Soldato
Not entirely convinced by them. They're no better sounding than my cheap £15 Anker pair, they feel like they're going to slip out occasionally, they don't always connect immediately and not having inline volume control is frustrating.

Like he fact they store neatly in the case and you can just use one at a time though.

Soldato
Hmmm…

I will be tempted to re-order AirPods 1,2 if there's the equivalent of inline volume control and I can have a tap function for play/pause alongside Siri.

So it will be interesting to see how dramatic a change the new version is — if it's just moving the LED to the outside of the case I'm not going to bother.

Soldato
I still haven't found the one I lost in my flat a couple months ago when I dropped the case and they both popped out :(

Was thinking about nipping in to buy a replacement this week, but will wait to see what this refresh is.

Permabanned
Just sat here appreciating the miracle of technology that the AirPods are! I never used wired earbuds much before getting these but now I must use them 3 or 4 hours a day for making phone calls and listening to music/podcasts. I almost feel like someone is beaming the audio into my head sometimes. I carry them everywhere and paired with the iPhone X I feel like I am living in the future.

Soldato
Yeah I love my AirPods, best purchase I made for a while. The switching between Watch, iPhone and iPad is quite good (sometimes it needs forcing) but for the most part I love them. I quite often forget I have them in my ears once music has stopped playing for a while, they're that comfortable.

I also sleep with them in quite a lot to block out the church bells.

Back
Top Bottom