AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
I think I'll hang on and see if the Gen3 appear this side of Christmas.

Won't be used during any physical activity, more for when I'm at work/home/motorbike. :)

i auditioned:

powerbeats pro
cambridge audio
jaybird vista.

i kept the vistas but the build quality on the cambridge audio kit was sensational.

the clincher between the vistas and the cambridge audio was the ability to set EQ via the app, additional waterproofing and a snugger fit.

i would certainly re-consider the cambridge audio set if i were using them for differing purpose other than street and gym wear.

powerbeats pro were meh for the £££ and if i really needed an overear hook there are ridiculously good deals at the minute for b-grade powerbeat3’s. my girlfriend has those and the sound is serviceable enough for a workout but the vistas throw them under the bus.

Soldato
So I sold my gen1s and got some Bose QC2s which are amazing for NC and bass etc, but miss my AirPods for the gym, running etc so picked up some brand new Gen2s sealed for £120.... happy to be at the gym again :)

Soldato
I'll keep my eye on the revision but having just replaced my Gen 1s with some Sony WF-1000XM3's they're going to need to be pretty special for me to get them. I miss how easy it was to pair with all my devices (though the Sony's pair quick enough) but I do not miss the sound quality on the AirPods. I knew they were nothing special and I loved them for the convenience but my god do they sound awful compared to my new ones. The new earphones are making me use Amazon Music for the better quality!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I've ordered these, will sell on my gen 2's.

Then I'll have Sony WH-1000XM3 for overear duties, PowerBeats Pro for when I'm active and AirPods Pro for less active listening.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Clov!s @ChrisD.
You both said they’ll be a day one purchase. Have you ordered yet?
Didn’t know they were out, but yet I’ll be just ordered some. I use my AirPods all the time.

Gen two will be relegated to my work iPhone as I can’t be bothered to sell them or keep switching phones/Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to wait for reviews to see if I get some. But I'll only consider them if they sound better than my Sonys and come in black.

I love the Sony's but the way the airpods worked was much nicer but they have to be special to make me spend the same again on another set of earphones within 3 months

Soldato
They're only in white.
Not sure I can justify £250 on headphones that’ll only be used when walking to and from work (10 minutes) and the odd Saturday when I’m in work on my own.

Tempted by the vista headphones quoted above for £149, same style put come in black.

Will wait for some reviews before ordering.

Soldato
Anyone getting these and planning to use them every day - please get Apple Care (£29).
Small batteries degrade quickly so it will guarantee at least 2 years of replacement coverage

Commissario
Anyone getting these and planning to use them every day - please get Apple Care (£29).
Small batteries degrade quickly so it will guarantee at least 2 years of replacement coverage
My original AirPods batteries were poor after just over a year. Apple replaced them without a question despite them being out of warranty due to consumer law. No AppleCare was needed.

Soldato
My original AirPods batteries were poor after just over a year. Apple replaced them without a question despite them being out of warranty due to consumer law. No AppleCare was needed.

that was possible because they were purchased from Apple, however even then (and I can’t say too much) don’t expect the same going forward

Back
Top Bottom