akasa and sparkle psu's, any comments experiences?

Caporegime
Considering orderingone of the following:

Akasa Ultra Quiet 650W PowerPlus Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU

FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN Epsilon 700W ATX2.0 PSU

anyone any comments on noise, reliability etc? I might be buying a second x1900 crossfire card in a monh or so.

personally haven't used either, but i've noticed that the FPS sparkle PSU's are getting mentioned more and more (in specs etc...) in this forum... must be a good thing surely?

Sparkle is great but i am considering changing mine due to noise! (FSP Sparkle FX600)

I'm looking for a 600w + PSU that is quiet and was contemplating the Akasa Ultra Quiet 650W PowerPlus.

Well i just ordered up the Antec NeoHE 550W modular. According to THIS psu calculator its more than enough for the sytem im settings up, total of 461 watts needed if i want dual graphics cards. If it turns out its not ill be flinging a few abusive emails ati's direction.

Energize said:
My akasa psu blew up when the pc wasnt even switched on, wouldnt reccomend.

I seem to recall that you thought you had shorted the motherboard against the case - do you have any reason to change your mind?

Akasa Paxpower are some of the most consistently well reviewed PSUs out there. I've got several (none with the LED) in systems running 24/7 and I wouldn't use anything else for upto 650W.

FSP Sparkle make PSUs for pretty much EVERYBODY and just recently (last 18 months) they've decided to make their own branded ones as well. They could be great, they could be pants - we'll have to wait and see. Initial tests I've done with one of their mATX 300W 'Green' PSUs are very good with stable rails, a quiet fan with temperature control and what appears to be good construction quality.

Viberious said:
My 400watt akasa is still serving me strong. Build quality is great and its very quiet when compared to other cheaper psu's.

Would recommend akasa to anyone.
Exacly the same with my 460w its rock solid and well quite i would reccomend it to anyone

I got the FSP700watt, and it's very noisy. Its very high quality, a real beast but for me the noise is too much and im looking at changing it at the end of the month.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the other posts about the Akasa, i've had no problems with it whatsoever but i wouldn't buy another one due to them not having modular cables as i see that as a must for when i get a new PSU.

WJA96 said:
I seem to recall that you thought you had shorted the motherboard against the case - do you have any reason to change your mind?

Akasa Paxpower are some of the most consistently well reviewed PSUs out there. I've got several (none with the LED) in systems running 24/7 and I wouldn't use anything else for upto 650W.

FSP Sparkle make PSUs for pretty much EVERYBODY and just recently (last 18 months) they've decided to make their own branded ones as well. They could be great, they could be pants - we'll have to wait and see. Initial tests I've done with one of their mATX 300W 'Green' PSUs are very good with stable rails, a quiet fan with temperature control and what appears to be good construction quality.

I found out that the mobo worked fine there was no signs of damage, and people have said that if there was a short circuit like that it would not damage a decent psu.

WJA96 said:

sparkle have been around for a LONG time. at least 5 years and they have always been consistantly great psus.

mark1 said:
I have to agree with the other posts about the Akasa, i've had no problems with it whatsoever but i wouldn't buy another one due to them not having modular cables as i see that as a must for when i get a new PSU.
thats the only reason why i wont buy another one

Back
Top Bottom