Alarm system etc for older relative

Soldato
Hi,

Looking for recommendations and feedback on my current plan. My grandma is in her late 70s still very independent and a "okay" with technology in the sense that she has had touch screen phones for years and uses a pc but is not great with apps etc.

The situation is She lives up a dark lane and used to have the streetlight outside her house that would light up the door and garden but the council has switched it to some new led light and it lights up nothing now. I have gone and installed a solar pir light but want to get some upgrades for her as she is starting to feel a bit more vulnerable.

Current doorbell is proper old school tech from around 10 years ago a Byron SX 303 and it does the job except munching 6AA lithium batterys every 6 months.

Were thinking of getting a Ring doorbell along with the Ring alarm system and a front and rear ring camera. It seems pricey but just wondering if anyone had other recommendations. Simplisafe was another but the pro monitoring is £20 a month.

Current doorbell for a laugh https://imgur.com/a/EugruYz

Soldato
OP
I totally agree about the nest as i swapped my ring pro for a nest and never looked back. I suspect if I get the ring doorbell I would need only 1 camera for the rear with the alarm as well. Even if she simply uses alexa to let her know someones at the door and never opens the app at least I would have access to the camera etc as administering it. The solar lights work a treat even in winter as dont have much of a power draw and even ambient light is enough to charge them plus most have a built in lithium battery's. Was good to think about the camera so thanks as I would have stuck a camera in front and then realised the doorbell is a camera ha.

Soldato
OP
I see you can get the Ring alarm on Costco for £220 so quite a discount and not sure it will go cheaper on Black friday deals. Managed to get her a ring doorbell 2 and echo 5" for £160 so that's a start along with a stick up battery cam for the back garden for £72. I think best bet now is to get the alarm and the £8 a month covers all devices with the recording so seems quite the bargain

Back
Top Bottom