"Alcoholic drinks should carry a warning"

Soldato
And most people buy their drinks at Bars / Clubs where they won't even see the bottle so it makes no difference!

actually that's not true anymore and hasn't been for a longwhile

http://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Consumption docs/Alcohol consumption factsheet August 2013.pdf

page 18 on trade v off trade

more people actually consume booze bought from shops rather than down the boozer / clubs.

However I still think this is a complete waste of taxpayers money. If someone is going to go on a bat**** crazy binge session, then no amount of warnings on labels will make any difference

Soldato
It even has cross party support. What is the point of having Opposition if both sides or going to agree on every damn thing.

Sure, alcohol can be bad for you. So can water, or oxygen.

I'm not even a big drinker but I wish Government would **** right off interfering with every bit of my life and what I do to relax.

Man of Honour
It even has cross party support. What is the point of having Opposition if both sides or going to agree on every damn thing.

I get more annoyed when a party opposes an absolutely watertight proposal from another simply in the name of opposition instead of just agreeing because it is the right decision.

To those who oppose this. What is it, exactly, you are opposing?

Is a warning on a label really that bad? :confused:

It is bad because it's creating a stigma out of drink, making it socially less acceptable. It's already happening to cigarettes, and drink was simply the govt's next target. After that, it will be chocolate. Then fresh air.

To me one of the greatest pleasures in life is a pint and a cigarette, I for one am sick of being treated like some sort of scum because I'm unapologetic about my enjoyment - I'm well aware I'll probably die younger, I could get cancer or liver disease and my heart attack risk is higher.

This. Not the cigarette, but deffo a pint for me.

Caporegime
Binge drinking had already given it that stigma. As has alcoholism. A label will not change that for better nor worse. The rest is speculative hyperbole nonsense. Smoking actively harms smokers and those around smokers, they were not just being killjoys.

Likewise for alcohol. Every town centre becomes a cesspit of violent drunks peeing and vomiting everywhere many nights a week.

Last edited:
Soldato
Binge drinking had already given it that stigma. As has alcoholism. A label will not change that for better nor worse. The rest is speculative hyperbole nonsense. Smoking actively harms smokers and those around smokers, they were not just being killjoys.

Likewise for alcohol. Every town centre becomes a cesspit of violent drunks peeing and vomiting everywhere many nights a week.

Who are exactly the people who are going to be buying their drinks from a bar and thus never see the label ;)

Ban alcohol completely. Ban it, ban it all.

Yeah, that really worked well in the 20s :p

Back
Top Bottom