Alien TV series (Alien Earth) : 2025

I was looking through the IMDB, like you do and was going through Ridley Scott's page and I found this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13623632/reference

Are we going to see a TV series based on the beloved franchise?

I kind of hope so, it could be interesting.
There’s been talk and rumour about this for years and years. I don’t trust Scott not to mess it up again. The original was a very good sci-fi horror. Aliens was a great sci-fi action film. The others have been much more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’.

I was just coming to start a thread on this.

It's written by Noah Hawley of Fargo fame, the first series of which is as close to perfect as any season of any TV i've watched.

It's purely on that basis I have some hope for this - just don't let Scott get too involved.

First season of Fargo was decent but I quickly lost interest with it after season 1 and TBH season 1 and 2 was mostly carried by certain actors as much as anything.

I don't hold high hopes sadly for an Aliens TV show - it is one of those things which is either going to be a masterpiece or a train wreck and there doesn't seem to be the interest in taking the time these days to produce masterpieces.

A series set in the "Alien" universe from Noah Hawley is officially set up at FX, Variety has learned. The announcement was made Thursday by FX chief John Landgraf as part of the Disney Investor Day presentation. Hawley will write and executive produce the series under his 26 Keys banner, with "Alien" mastermind Ridley Scott in advanced talks to executive produce via Scott Free. FX Productions will produce. Per Landgraf, the show is "Set not too far into our future, it's the first 'Alien' story set on Earth."

Hmm.

Could be interesting.

Scott's Raised By Wolves has a lot of Alien themes running through it...kinda weirdly so. It would be good to see the same budget and production put into a proper Alien series.

I agree with some of the comments above.

The first two movies were excellent. Aliens is one of my all time favourite movies.

The rest were terrible, sorry, Alien 3 was borderling bad, Alien Resuracction was both wierd (but bad wierd) and absolutely awful, the other spin offs all pretty awful.

It doesnt bode well.

I was just coming to start a thread on this.

It's written by Noah Hawley of Fargo fame, the first series of which is as close to perfect as any season of any TV i've watched.

It's purely on that basis I have some hope for this - just don't let Scott get too involved.

Completely agree Fargo and Legion are excellent.

Hopefully Ridley Scott will be hands off, both Prometheus and Covenant are pretty terrible.

Didn't the Neil Blokamp straight sequel to Aliens get stopped because it interfered with the direction Scott wanted Alien to go with Prometheus.

The original Alien movie is set in 2122. This sounds like a major rewrite/retcon.

Nothing to say WY didn't get a sample elsewhere and had been looking for another source afterwards, ergo Nostromo crew being woke up, just thinking out loud though. The derelict looks to have been there a considerable time.

Really hope it's not a retcon, guess time will tell.

My thinking is where is this going to fit?

It's not a series on a huge ship or space station where people have started going missing and maybe some shady cult has appared. I think I read that Aliens could be portrayed as far more inteligent/psychic than first appeared.

It's not on a colony world where the same happens.

It's not going to be a series long equivalent to one of the more respected films in the franchise.

For budget reasons, it's not going to feel future enough. It's going to have corporate fighting and espionage with initial teasers of what the prize is (Alien of some kind) at the end of S1

It's almost certainly not going to, or can't, have Alien drones/warriors - I've seen what might be in the series but could also have been internet rumour rubbish.

It will have little to no references to characters from the movies.

With the chronology of movie Aliens being all over the place following Prometheus and Covenant, the series can't introduce those creatures we've come to know and love as effectively they won't exist unless the series is set some years after Covenant.

I want this to be good. I don't want any of the above to come to be. Even if it's a bit crap, I'll still watch it because, well, Aliens. It will have to be really bad for me to not bother with it.

With the chronology of movie Aliens being all over the place following Prometheus and Covenant, the series can't introduce those creatures we've come to know and love as effectively they won't exist unless the series is set some years after Covenant.

The way I saw Prometheus and Covenant is David trying to recreate the Alien, I don't see him as the actual creator of the species, the mural in the goo room alludes to this in Prometheus.

The way I saw Prometheus and Covenant is David trying to recreate the Alien, I don't see him as the actual creator of the species, the mural in the goo room alludes to this in Prometheus.

Hmm, I could accept David is recreating rather than inventing. Although, in deleted scenes of Covenant, David makes reference to something missing - i.e. Him creating a Queen.

Hmm, I could accept David is recreating rather than inventing. Although, in deleted scenes of Covenant, David makes reference to something missing - i.e. Him creating a Queen.

I thought the missing bit was a human host?

It's all a bit muddled and hazy, I think even Scott himself has implied that David is the creator, an idea I really can't get behind - even if from the lips of the Director himself. Just chalk it down to his old age :D

Nothing to say WY didn't get a sample elsewhere and had been looking for another source afterwards, ergo Nostromo crew being woke up, just thinking out loud though. The derelict looks to have been there a considerable time.

Really hope it's not a retcon, guess time will tell.

Yeah, there's a pretty obvious way in there....what happened prior to Alien that made Weyland so interested in sending the Nostromo crew after the distress beacon, with the crew expendable directive and killer android on board...

Yeah, there's a pretty obvious way in there....what happened prior to Alien that made Weyland so interested in sending the Nostromo crew after the distress beacon, with the crew expendable directive and killer android on board...

If they did set it pre-Alien, I hope they keep the sets and general feel of the technology industrial like it was.

It would need to have good characters and script keeping with the setting.

It won't happen though, Disney will somehow get their grubby paws of on it and make it woke as **** and probably somehow get some animated cuddly character in it.

I don't quite understand why Scott has been given so much creative control over this franchise. He directed the first film and had a lot of stylistic input but he didn't write the story or the script. Some of the major world building was done by Cameron when he wrote and directed Aliens.

To my mind Prometheus and Covenant have shown that for all his amazing prowess as a director he is not suitable to be a world builder. In their own way they were more harmful to the series than Alien 3 or Ressurection.

Wait till JJ Abrams is called into rescue it then we know it is well and truly dead.

Back
Top Bottom