Aliens Fireteam

Soldato
3 pages long so far and I'm the only one to have thrown a quote in. Call yourself Aliens fans, shame on you ! Have to crack another one.
I quote the film almost every day, so I restrained myself to a mere reference in Post 40.
Whether the game is actually worthy of having quotes bestowed upon its thread remains to be seen...

Soldato
OP

New video showing 25mins of gameplay. Looks alright, nothing earth shatteringly innovative but could still be a fun blast in between stuff.

Soldato
Looks alright, nothing earth shatteringly innovative but could still be a fun blast in between stuff.
This.
It's just a simple horde blast em up. For what it's trying to be, it looks fine.
The original vid shows some more interesting locations and intensity, so I'm looking forward to some bug hunting.

Associate
So were AlienCubed, Alien Res, and AVP 1 and 2, but that dun't mean any o' them were any good, either...!! :p

Gonna disagree with Alien3. I thought it was a decent film. Was it as good as Alien and Aliens? No. Aliens by far and away my most favourite film of all time. I thought Alien 3 did a decent job of trying to capture the claustrophobic atmosphere of Alien. Without weapons it made that 1 Alien genuinely terrifying like the first film.

Those that followed after however...…… And I remember so looking forward to AvP. Such a massive disappointment.

Soldato
Gonna disagree with Alien3. I thought it was a decent film. Was it as good as Alien and Aliens? No. Aliens by far and away my most favourite film of all time. I thought Alien 3 did a decent job of trying to capture the claustrophobic atmosphere of Alien. Without weapons it made that 1 Alien genuinely terrifying like the first film.
It was an absolute train wreck. The original script based around Hicks, before the many rewrites, was far better. Instead we got a half-arsed film peppered with tacked-on 90s elements, that paved the way for all the progressively worse sequels.

And I remember so looking forward to AvP. Such a massive disappointment.
To be fair, AVP was somewhat faithful to the graphic novel, but such things belong in experimental literature and not in canon-defining films.

Associate
Huh, this is not the kind of game I was expecting when I first heard about it.
I won't lie I was thinking isometric shooter in the vein of Shadowgrounds or Alien Swarm (different franchise I am fully aware). Dunno what put that idea in my head

Associate
I was such a big Aliens fan I completed 'the game that can't be mentioned' online when it first released, though I'd unwisely pre ordered it.

I'm still trying to figure out how badly they ruined a simple formula of Left 4 Dead and Aliens, this attempt looks more like Gars of War style, but doesn't seem to have much of the horror atmosphere that both Alien and Aliens the movies have, will have to wait and see how it goes.

While I recognise that Alien Isolation is the best Alien game to date, I personally didn't rate it that highly after a certain point.

Ridley Scott hugely regretted showing the full body of the Alien in the final shot of Alien going out into space the movie - you never see the whole alien otherwise and it adds so much to the tension. Yet early on in Isolation the Alien casually walks around a fully lit room while you're hiding - you see everything in full light, right near the start of the game. Made me wonder how much research they'd done, felt like a really clumsy reveal to me and kind of ruined the game - for me.

I still highly rate both the Konami Aliens arcade game from 1990 and the Capcom Aliens vs Predator arcade from 1994, both still legit good games that capture more of the Alien atmosphere than some later games or movies did.

Soldato
OP
I was such a big Aliens fan I completed 'the game that can't be mentioned' online when it first released, though I'd unwisely pre ordered it.

I'm still trying to figure out how badly they ruined a simple formula of Left 4 Dead and Aliens, this attempt looks more like Gars of War style, but doesn't seem to have much of the horror atmosphere that both Alien and Aliens the movies have, will have to wait and see how it goes.

Aliens was definitely less horror and more action movie imo (was no worse for it) compared to the original. Very different tone but equally good in their own right.

Associate
Yeah fair to say that Alien is much more horror to the Aliens action, but I do feel the horror is still there is Aliens. It's surrounded by action but plenty of horrific little moments interspersed still.

Back
Top Bottom