Alienware 2018

Associate
Hi all,
I've not found any reviews of the new Alienware's (believe they have just been released?).
There are a few about youtube talking about the MSI GS65 and Gigabyte Auro 15x, so I was wondering what you all thought about how the Alienware compares? Initially I never thought of them because (for some reason) I thought they had poor battery life (I take the laptop around for films and things while Im away), but just noticed its a 99wh battery, which is actually bigger than the others. But runs g-sync, which makes it worse? Possibly? The GTX1070 isn't MaxQ and is apparently overclocked (to unknown amounts). So performance should be better than either of the others.

Comparing prices, I can get an Alienware 15" with 32gb, 512ssd, i7-8750H, GTX1070 8gb OC, for 2200 GBP (my current MSI doesnt have a pound button on the keyboard, actually incredibly annoying).

Or all the above, but an i9-8950HK for 2500 GBP.

MSI GS65, with the above i7, MaxQ 1070, 512SSD, 144hz screen for 2400 GBP (which is pricey I thought).
Or
Gigabyte Aero 15x, exactly the same as the MSI but 16GB RAM from here for 2200 GBP (seems a much better deal than the MSI)

The only downside I can see is a slightly lower spec screen (120hz vs 144), but is this going to be much of a difference? And *possibly* less battery life. ALso for nearly the same price as the MSI I could get an i9 (future proof).
Im assuming it will be a long time before the next gen Nvidia comes out for laptops so no point in waiting?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Associate
OP
The lack of a second hard drive is putting me off the msi, there's a lot more configurability (real word?) With the alienware which I like.
You make a good point about the external graphics card, I hadn't considered that which makes the a little more attractive.
September isn't too long to wait for the possibility of a more impressive card, but depends how much better it is.
Theres so much flex in the msi, my current one is ridiculous.
I've heard its hard to get into the new msi, but I'm sure there will be a way.

Edit: what are your thoughts on the screens? Will it be a noticeable difference do you think?

Associate
OP
Apparently they made the GS65 easier to access the internals, so they said haha. No one seems to agree.
I would rather have the space for a traditional hdd instead of a second overly priced ssd tbh. Which only the Alienware offers. And I wouldn't go for a 4k screen. Both MSI and Aero seem to have really nice screens, but that bleed looks pretty poor :/
Im not sure if adding a new gen Geforce would be worth it as an external, just because of the price of the case and new card. Price to performance wouldn't add up to don't think. And I'm not sure to believe a whole 50% improvement :/ If its 30-40% decline in performance externally, that nearly negates it ha.
I think I will wait another month or two for more realistic results on new graphic cards, but the Alienware is so far looking like a much better option at the moment, puretly for the hdd, better graphics card and possible i9. I hate tech, there's always something new around the corner to wait for haha.

Back
Top Bottom