Alienware laptops for total war games

Associate
Hi everyone i have been looking at building a pc lately and i know you get a lot more for money but i still keep thinking a laptop would be much more convenient as no were to put a pc at all. Love and ways wanted a alienware and see a lot of ppl om about the outlet do i just google alienware outlet ?

Only trouble is i am not a fan of the new shape how the screen sits forward, will the alienware 13 or 15 be best you think ? I only really want to play total war warhammer and next one thats out you think laptop will play this game comfortably and can you get finance on the outlet or just have to buy outright ?

Thanks dean

Associate
They both run the games amazingly well but could you play total war on a 13" screen or do you plan to add a monitor?

I have a 13" oled and love it so much but sometimes wish it was 15"

Associate
OP
Thanks for that ninja and i agree, i am thinking 15 inch minimim, on alienware website it doesnt say r3 or r4 , am i correct in thinking that r4 is the best and r3 second best and so on ? And i have found the outlet on the dell website.

So you think alienware 15 r3 minimum would play total war warhammer on best settings ?

Amd are the refurbed ones practically brand new ? Cannot get finance on the outlet so will have to save and jist but one i think

Associate
R is revision. The aw15 & 13 is the r3 and the 17 is the r4.

Anything with a 1060 will play ultra at 1080p. I have total warhammer running on the 13r3 with 1060 at ultra settings. It is a joy to behold on the oled, just wish they sold a 15" oled.

If you get the 15" get the 1080p with minimum of 1060. The 4K isn't a great panel and the 120hz looks washed out

Oh and with regards to the outlet, yes as long as they are not scratch and dent they should come in perfect condition. You have 14days returns too so if you are not happy send it back.

Associate
OP
Brilliant thanks mate so the 15 and make sure r3 ? seems to be around the £1000 Mark, how often to they change the design as really font like how the screen sits forward from the back prefer the older models but will get one of have to as always wanted alienware

Outlet seems so muvh cheaper than new

Thanks very much for your help
Dean

Associate
You get used to the rear section. I hated it at first but now don't mind it. The only thing I am not keen on is the size it adds, just make sure you buy a 17" laptop bag as it won't fit in a 15" bag.

They seem to change the design every couple of years.

Associate
OP
Brilliant and thanks, any news of next design yet ? Defently going for outlet as 500 pound cheaper, around 1100 pound mark.

So you play warhammer on ultra with no lag at all mate ? Do you have the 13 or 15 did you say

Associate
I recently got a 13 from the outlet, the temps are a bit high but other than that it's great. I've decided to keep it and repaste or undervolt as they knocked another 5% off when I called.

Most manufacturers seem to be hit an miss with temps and all use cheap paste, I know that fundamentally the cooling system on these laptops is very good as people have got very solid results and temps after a repaste.

A 15 or 13 inch screen are both small compared to a regular monitor so I doubt you would actually notice a big difference between them, I recently used a 15 inch laptop and the screen is not that much bigger.

Aim for a 1060 or 1070, the biggest advantage with the 15 is the 1070 option as its a fair bit faster, if your going with a 1060 (also a good card) consider the 13 with OLED it's a great screen and it's also touch which you quickly get used to and is in my view a massive improvement over a trackpad for pottering around the Internet.

Best bet is to wait for a outlet discount code to appear, they a had a 15% off Alienwares a while back and those deals usually come back round again especially when they have a bunch of stock to shift, which they currently do I believe.

Associate
Dean - I have the 13" with 7700hq and 1060. Got mine from the outlet and upgraded the ram and ssd.
Plays warhammer amazingly at ultra.

Peter - yeah, mine was hot too. Repasted with thermal grizzly and managed a -.140 undervolt and temps are great now.

Having been spoiled by the oled I can't use anything else now

Associate
OP
Honestly tha ks very much for these helpfull replys guys , i would prefer a 13 as cheaper so going to go for them, could i pkug the laptop into my main tv and play it on there ?

Also were the discounts come up just on the outlet store or on here ?

Do you get any warranty from outlet and would you loose it for applying better cpu paste ?

Thanks again

Associate
Yes, it has a hdmi 2 port for your tv plus it also has a thunderbolt 3 port plus a USB c port which will allow you to buy an adapter for any other display type.

Discounts come up on the outlet front page and on the outlet twitter account.

You get the same dell onsite next day warranty with outlet as you do when you buy a new Alienware

Associate
OP
Still saving and debating taking the plunge haha or build a rig but really want the mobility pf laptop alienware 15 r3 laptops on outlet around 1200 what isnt Much different from the 13. And the oled laptops dpnt seem to come onto the outlet much you think the 15 is just as good ? Get the ssd and the hdd

Also purchased total war warhammer in steam sale and skyline cities for a bit of a push as my current setup wont play it

What you think about this spec below for such games

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor 2.6 GHz / 3.5 GHz with Turbo Boost
1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
16GB DDR4 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5)
Windows 10 Silver

Alienware Gaming Laptop, purchased in February 2017. Rarely used (about 8-10 hours max usage). Super condition, has been reset to factory conditions for its new user.
Under warranty for another 10 months (15 months total warranty from date of purchase). Comes in original Alienware packaging box with ac adapter

Thanks dean

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom