• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All games to flicker/shimmer? When moving.

Associate
Here is the problem I'm facing. It's not my video but I'm happy I found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k01f8iG-EQ8

I don't usually make these type of threads asking for help because I can often fix the problem myself with a ton of research. However, I've had this problem for a while now and I've only now started to kick up a fuss because the recent game I've started playing seems to be the worst.

The problem is extremely hard to explain but what I am experieincing is in most games such as H1Z1 and Black Desert textures at a distance seem to flicker/wobble/vibrate/shimmer with light. The texture itself doesn't move but it just wobbles with light, it's hard to describe specifically what I mean. I've tried recording the problem but for some reason the problem doesn't show as bad as I see it directly on my monitor.

I tried recording in H1Z1. As you can see you will most likely think the game looks perfectly normal but on my screen the problem is way worse, in the video the cars on the roads look perfectly normal yet when I was recording they were shimmering with light. You can slightly see the problem in this video by looking at the buildings or specifically the metal fire stairs I look at.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tec9VrqJc[/youtube]

This is not the same game nor is it my video but this is what I pretty much see on most games. Watch the video in 1080p, look how bad the textures flicker.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn57t5p_QZ8[/youtube]

Now when it comes to troubleshooting I've pretty much tried everything I think of yet the problem still persists.

- Uninstalled my current drivers using the DDU program and tried various versions of drivers.
- Forced AA/AF and all the other options within the NVIDIA control panel. (including Vsync)
- Tried another DVI cable aswell as a whole new monitor.
- Installed my old GPU

I tried running the Heaven Benchmark yet the problem wasn't noticeable at all. Only on certain textures such as the rope on the ship had the problem. Also Overwatch doesn't seem to have this problem either.

e1ac2635feb23544d09172625882d8ce.png

For anyone who can resolve or tell me what is happening will be rewarded. I've posted on multiple forums now and nobody can give me a solution which I haven't already tried.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try DDU or similar to nuke every last trace of drivers, then reinstall newest

Failing that, I'd try a fresh install of windows. I know it sounds pike a PITA, but it took me less than an hour last time :)

Associate
OP
Try DDU or similar to nuke every last trace of drivers, then reinstall newest

Failing that, I'd try a fresh install of windows. I know it sounds pike a PITA, but it took me less than an hour last time :)

I have Windows 10. It's literally only a few months old.

Caporegime
I suppose you've already tried turning on MFAA, so other than that I don't know what else to suggest.

As a last resort, I guess you could try DDU.

Soldato
Can you post a video? I have an even higher spec pc and yeah I get the shimmer albeit very slight and I've ddu'd and reinstalled windows more times than I care to recall!

Associate
sorry for being off topic, whenever I install a new GPU, I never mess with the nvidia settings in the software, is there anything I should be messing with?

Soldato
Try run games on HDTV with same cable and different cable.

If textures still ficker in other games then it look like your GTX 980 Ti memory chips are faulty. You will need to RMA it for replacement.

Associate
OP
Can you post a video? I have an even higher spec pc and yeah I get the shimmer albeit very slight and I've ddu'd and reinstalled windows more times than I care to recall!
Here's the problem. Whenever I record the problem on the games I experience the problem it doesn't seem as bad as what I see on my screen. For example I tried to record on H1Z1.

In this vide you will think it's completely normal. But look at the stairs in this video as i move, imagine that for every texture around me such as parts of buildings. It seems to be worse of thin objects such as poles and fences even foliage.

I know it's not the same game but it's the same problem I''m facing on both. Seems to be bad on H1Z1 and Black Desert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tec9VrqJc

This isn't my video but its the same problem I have. And again I'm sure it's worse for the guy with his own eyes rather than watching the video after recording - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDsSyQeKLI

I suppose you've already tried turning on MFAA, so other than that I don't know what else to suggest.

As a last resort, I guess you could try DDU.
Is this settings in control panel for my GPU? If so I've tried every possible setting ever... enabling, disabling you name it I done it. I never notice any difference.

sorry for being off topic, whenever I install a new GPU, I never mess with the nvidia settings in the software, is there anything I should be messing with?
The only thing you would be recommended to do is to disable Vsync.

Like Gregsters suggesting try a different cable and different cable inputs.

I'm using a DVI cable I believe. It came with the monitor. White cable. What other cable should I try? I thought DVI is best for this monitor?

Try run games on HDTV with same cable and different cable.

If textures still ficker in other games then it look like your GTX 980 Ti memory chips are faulty. You will need to RMA it for replacement.
Noooo. Don't say that :c

Have you checked your monitor settings, on some of the 34" theres a setting that when turned on caused flickering on moving images.
Sorry, what do you mean?

Last edited:
Soldato
Textures within games seem to flicker/shimmer it's the most horrible experience to have when gaming it annoys me so much and upsets me considering how much I spent on my PC.

The only game I've played where this problem doesn't exist is Overwatch for some reason.

How games like CSGO, Black Desert and H1Z1 all seem to be equally as bad.

Black Desert. When I move all the foliage and textures of buildings in the distance flicker and shimmer, I guess it's the shadows? In CSGO, certain maps such as Cache where the metal garage doors, they seem to flicker and shimmer when I move.

Seems to be worse on Black Desert. All the grass and crap flickers so much when i move. yet when i stand s till it's fine. it seems worse at a distance.

my specs:

I've tried rolling back drivers and updating drivers etc. Problem still persists.

Are games suppose to be like this? Am I just expecting too much?

Why it shows only 2 GB Vram on the GTX980Ti?

Caporegime

I don't know for absolutely certain if my settings are optimal, but here's what mine looks like at the moment:

rs8kzo.png

2uh3hjp.png

Back
Top Bottom