"Allergic" to fish - dilema.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Some years ago I developed an allergy to white fish. It makes me vomit basically, but quite badly and drawn out. Last time I was bedridden for a couple of days and it took me a long time to recover so I've avoided fish completely for a number of years.

Seafood is fine and I eat a fair bit of it, though the fish that makes me sick has a particular taste that I recognise and scallops have that taste, so I have avoided them just in case.

The strange thing is I can eat smoked salmon and anchovies with no problems. I only eat these because I know in between the times of the bad experiences with white fish I'd been eating them and they didn't affect me. I'm suspecting that oily fish might be ok but I haven't had the guts to try fresh salmon or tuna in case of an unpleasant reaction.

So I'm at the point now where I'm missing a few old regulars from my diet; mainly tuna. I have a tin in the cupboard, I have a day off work, I have mayonnaise and granary bread. Wish me luck...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
maybe its certain types of fish
That's what I'm hoping. I don't really miss white fish all that much, except delicious crisp delicious fried delicious fish fingers in between two thick buttered slices of white bread and a lick of ketchup...

but I digress

Yeah white fish definitely does me in but it would be cool if I can eat tuna and occasionally fresh salmon. Annoyingly the doctor won't do an allergy test. They just say avoid fish :(

1 hr 28 mins to go.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Running a bit late. Nerves. However:

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
IMG_4938.JPG

Too excited to eat the crusts :D

Edit: In brine?!
I can't remember which one to buy, I haven't bought tuna in years :p

Actually I was thinking the extra salt might give me an added chance of survival. Bacon curing theory.

Edit: right, I'm off down to the garage to sweat this one out. If I vomit I'll make sure there are pictures ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Ahh must have snuffed it. :D Right - start unloading his valuables!!
WRONG! I'M ALIIIIIVE!!!!10NE AHAHAHAHAAHH

youngfrankenstein.jpg

And I appear to be ok ;)

Now get back, the lot of you, the scooter is still mine :D

Why have you only got half a sandwich ?
My motto is there's no point being half arsed about it. Normally I stick to this but as mentioned, it's less to vomit had it happened, and I don't like vomiting :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
You might have strong allergy to typical cheap fish contaminants, like for example traces of mercury.
I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of processing because tinned tuna is cooked within an inch of its life, smoked salmon is cured, anchovies are salted which is a bit like disinifecting it. Maybe it's something still present in fresh fish that does it. I think tinned pilchards are next on my list and a move back to white fish might start with those boil in the bag frozen jobbies, because they are pretty heavily processed. Then I'll move onto the fresh stuff when I'm feeling brave.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I've been thinking about it all day. Tuna for lunch, just had a tuna and sweetcorn wrap and I STILL want more :D

Tinned tuna 4-packs are half price in the supermarket. Guess who's now got 8 tins in the cupboard? Ok, 7 tins :o

Back
Top Bottom