Alloy wheel protectors

Soldato
they don't really help much
I think they do to some extent, I've had a few whoops moments where I expected some damage to my alloys but was relieved and surprised to find nothing. Maybe more to do with the speed I was travelling but would have expected some scuffing.

Associate
Agree with built in rim protectors on tyres , it has saved me a few times from the dreaded alloy damage.

Mine have about 1cm rubber that comes out. They are Pirelli P Zeros

Better explained with a pic

azNIbk2.jpg

Associate
I had alloy gators on my 350z when I bought the car. I removed them because they looked lame and I wanted the wheels restored. When I removed them I found that they'd caused a lot of corrosion due to the build up of crud behind them.

Maybe they hadn't been installed correctly, or they were already in a bad way.

Associate
I had alloy gators on my 350z when I bought the car. I removed them because they looked lame and I wanted the wheels restored. When I removed them I found that they'd caused a lot of corrosion due to the build up of crud behind them.

Maybe they hadn't been installed correctly, or they were already in a bad way.

This would be my concern.
If you can't clean behind the protector corrosion might mess up your wheels anyway.

Thus far I've managed to keep my wheels immaculate.
I think rim protector tyres are the best option, with some spare cash in the bank for a repair if required.

My partner has steel wheels on her car and I will buy steel wheels for her next car.
A new set of plastic hub caps is cheaper than Alloy Wheel Repair.

Soldato
I think they do to some extent, I've had a few whoops moments where I expected some damage to my alloys but was relieved and surprised to find nothing. Maybe more to do with the speed I was travelling but would have expected some scuffing.

Have to agree, like anything they aren't infallible but i've had moments where i'd swear i'd kerbed it only to inspect and not even been able to tell which point of the tyre had hit.

Back
Top Bottom