Alloy wheel refurb - how much do/did you pay?

Soldato
Down here on the border of Hants/Surrey/Berks I'm getting quotes of over £100 incl VAT a wheel for a basic refurb of a set of 18s. A quick google turns up massive price differences around the country, where some people claim to know someone that can fully acid dip, sand, powder coat and paint each wheel for £25 including replacing the tyre, valve, balance. What did you pay and where did you go? What did you get done? Powder coat vs paint? Did you send the wheels in off the car, or take the whole car and leave with them? Did this add to the cost?

Size: 18 inch
Service: Basic paint refurb in basic colour
Damage to existing wheels: Medium
Typical quote: £450 incl VAT for the set
Diamond cut: No

*STATE ALL PRICES INCLUDING VAT*

Last edited:
Nobody's doing acid dipping and powder coating for £25, I can guarantee you that.

Some of the prices people claim are admittedly old posts from 10 years ago on pistonheads forums or thereabouts. I don't know if people get off on the thought of obtaining things much cheaper than others to the point of lying, but yeah some people do claim they get sets done for a ton.

diamond cut or poweder coat?

i had my alloys refurbed (acid dipped and then filled) and then powder coated for £60/side (19 inch)
didn't want to do diamond cutting as this can only be done a couple of times before losing structural integrity

birmingham prices

£60 a side meaning £60 a wheel?
Yeah diamond cut adds more. (Added to OP as an item).

I found an old quote from last year at a local place highly recommended but have since shut down:

£75 per wheel
£10 per wheel tyre removal and refitting
= £340 plus VAT at 20% £68
= £408

So the true per wheel cost is actually £102

Back
Top Bottom