Almost ready, last minute advice please :)

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Just about to fill up the pc (all tubing done) but before I do am I right in saying that all I need connected to the psu is the pump and the 24 pin jump starter thingy, and nothing else?

Also can you wise ol'birds give me any tips and pointers from your experiences that may help me?

Thanks as always chaps :)

Soldato
Fill, cycle, power off, rinse and repeat pretty much.

Rock the case inbetween cycles to dislodge any air bubbles.

Keep a very close eye on all sealing connections for even the slightest leak. If you find a leak, power down get lots of kitchen roll and try tighten it back up.

If you have a large spill don't panic and ask here for advise ;)

And yes, just need to connect the pump to the psu (nothing else!!) and jump the 24pin. Alternatively you can do what I've done, grabbed a cheap nasty 400w OEM PSU, clipped and joined the required 24pin cables, use cheaper power supply for the pump. This way you can wire everything up while you do the tubing :)

Associate
When running the pump to cycle bubbles out do I need to keep the res fill cap closed or open?

Its up to you, cover it with your hand and take off to refill, will save you a lot of time! Your usually safe to fill it as full as you can and continue to fill it while the pump is running. As long as the pump doesn't run dry you should be good. After a few refills/cycles just keep an eye on it for the next few days to make sure your pump doesn't run dry.

Everything is good, Just remember.. Dry pump is a bad pump.

Man of Honour
OP

I've filled up to the res max and now just running the pump for a few hours to check for leaks, so should I put the res fill cover on for this, and if so the bubbles won't escape?

I can see lots of small bubbles in the tubes that aren't moving much and I can hear every so often what sounds like a batch of bubbles racing through the loop, like a soft scratching type sound (not the pump) will these clear are do I need to do the shakey shakey dance :p

Associate

I've filled up to the res max and now just running the pump for a few hours to check for leaks, so should I put the res fill cover on for this, and if so the bubbles won't escape?

I can see lots of small bubbles in the tubes that aren't moving much and I can hear every so often what sounds like a batch of bubbles racing through the loop, like a soft scratching type sound (not the pump) will these clear are do I need to do the shakey shakey dance :p

Fill her up, put the lid on the cap and tilt the pc slowly backwards and forwards ensuring that it 'feels' like you have let the water flow into every corner of the radiator. Also give her a little niggle every now and then.. It will be about an hour of bumping and grinding before shes ready to be left alone.. Man this sounds dodgey

Man of Honour
OP
I'm starting to wonder if the sound that's racing around the loop isn't bubbles and maybe a foreign body like solder etc? It seems fairly consistent as I've timed it on a stop watch?

Is this sound normal for the first few days, it's louder than the normal water noise? It only seems to appear on pump setting 5 (D5) on 3 it's not noticeable thus me thinking its a stuck piece of something?

The line out of the res into the pump seems to have the most bubbles and they aren't moving? I'm rocking and rolling the PC with pump on and off but the fill level is still at max?

Associate
The consistent circulating sound sounds weird but your bubble prob is perfectly normal, you'll never get them out rocking etc, no point even trying, just give them time and they'll eventually dissolve away.
After a short while extreme rocking is actually counter productive as any air that has accumulated in the res will get recirculated as it gets sucked up by the pump again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks eddyr,

I think I've seen a small black object flash past in 2 different tubes so I'm almost confident it's something in there, strange as I flushed the rad and it was totally clean, nothing came out of it? Wonder if my CPU or GPU had something in it?

I think I'm going to flush this tomorrow and re-do it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom