Almost time for the once a decade upgrade.

Associate
Thinking my pc is probably getting a bit long in the tooth so looking to upgrade cpu (from 3770k) which obviously means mobo and ram too. Maybe add a new m.2 for a boot drive. What would you guys suggest? i've been out of the loop for a long time but thinking about moving to a 7800x3d? really no idea. Currently using a 3070 gpu and everything else in the system is ticking along nicely. i *could* watercool the cpu since the case has a custom loop but it is a decade old so that's questionable (10x120 rad space a bit overkill in an old 900d case). Honestly i have no idea about the new stuff so no idea what ram or mobo i would need since the prices seem to vary wildly. Didn't add a budget but it's more a case of spending reasonable money because history shows i won't upgrade anytime soon

Last edited:
Going for 7800x3d does come to more money than the Intel , mainly due to AM5 mobos, but it is the path I would go for when thinking about such a long term use.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,017.91 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

If you are happy to strip and fit a new AM5 waterblock then no harm in reusing the current WC set up but no need for extreme cooling with X3D chip so the cooler recommended by Tetras is the best option.

Back
Top Bottom