Alternative to Excel for VBA macro enabled workbooks on iPhone

Associate
Hi All,

I am looking for any solutions to a gap we have at work that I am trying to rectify. Currently, I use a number of excel VBA created workbooks with various macros and SQL Server downloading functionality for the creation and capturing of information for weekly reports.

These are working well for us at work while we are using our Laptops, however, the problem begins when I am out of the office or traveling and using my work iPhone. I am looking to convert/create new software as an alternative to excel (probably for iPhone only and not to replace the Laptop excels).

My current ideas was an iOs app or HTML - however, as a non-technically minded person, I was hoping for some experts opinions before I asked our developers to create something.

Thanks
Dan

Soldato
I can't comment on cr-apple because I hate them, but the best way of cross OS support would be a web based solution.

If the data is already in a SQL DBase it's a case of recreating the functionality online and securing it for staff use only.

Associate
Sounds like you need something like QlikView which is amongst other things a pretty powerful reporting tool. You develop apps on the desktop which can then be accessed via the web or in fact via an android or apple mobile.Pretty deep learning experience and you clearly need to have bought into the qlikview infrastructure for it to work, i.e. apps hosted on qlikview server etc. But as a corporate solution its pretty good.

Or thinking about it if you just want static output then either host pdfs or images somewhere?

Associate
OP
Thanks @AHarvey & @dazzerd, I dont think convincing the boss to invest in new infrastructure is going to be easy, however dedicating some resource so create a web based front end for the SQD Database sounds the easiest and most flexible - will begin looking into it.

Associate
Wouldn't necessarily need to be heavy infastructure if it's just for some internal reports. If you can export data to Excel, you can export data to HTML. Put those somewhere accessable. Doesn't need to be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom