Alyx

Soldato
Anyone with a Quest 3 playing, or played this?

Tony, the mate that lent me his Quest 2, is now buying a Quest 3 having borrowed mine for a week lol..

He's got a laptop, some Asus ROG thing, Ryzen 7 3k series thing and an 1660Ti MaxQ thing, I tried it with my Q3 last night and it works, but its damned noisy as the fans in the laptop ramp up pretty quickly, even when its laying on its side rather than normally, to aid airflow, guessing on long gaming sessions its not going to play nicely as it'll get chuffing hot, so he's maybe looking at building a semi decent rig to sit next to his TV (He likes to have the stuff on the screen so the rest of the family can see what he is doing and I've suggested HDMI to the TV rather than to his Chromecast as its trying to stream to that at the same time its playing the game and doing headset stuff on SteamVR.

The general specs for Alyx arent all that heavy, and the laptop will do it, but don't think its going to last long term, where a desktop might be more appropriate (He did say that both of his daughters machines I built a couple of years ago play it really well) so looking at what sort of specs I can get away with desktop wise.

Anyone running similar?

Also, I quite like the look af Aylx myself, my PC will play it no worries, but its still £50, anywhere cheaper to get it?

Anyone with a Quest 3 playing, or played this?

Tony, the mate that lent me his Quest 2, is now buying a Quest 3 having borrowed mine for a week lol..

He's got a laptop, some Asus ROG thing, Ryzen 7 3k series thing and an 1660Ti MaxQ thing, I tried it with my Q3 last night and it works, but its damned noisy as the fans in the laptop ramp up pretty quickly, even when its laying on its side rather than normally, to aid airflow, guessing on long gaming sessions its not going to play nicely as it'll get chuffing hot, so he's maybe looking at building a semi decent rig to sit next to his TV (He likes to have the stuff on the screen so the rest of the family can see what he is doing and I've suggested HDMI to the TV rather than to his Chromecast as its trying to stream to that at the same time its playing the game and doing headset stuff on SteamVR.

The general specs for Alyx arent all that heavy, and the laptop will do it, but don't think its going to last long term, where a desktop might be more appropriate (He did say that both of his daughters machines I built a couple of years ago play it really well) so looking at what sort of specs I can get away with desktop wise.

Anyone running similar?

Also, I quite like the look af Aylx myself, my PC will play it no worries, but its still £50, anywhere cheaper to get it?

Shame it's the Max Q version of the 1660Ti. If it wasn't the Max Q version it would probably be fine.

As for desktop. Graphics card: 2070 Super or better on the Nvidia side or 6700 xt or better on the AMD side. 32GB of System Ram and any decent CPU from the last few years should be fine. And by decent CPU I mean I5/Ryzen 5 or better.

He's just been round to pick the laptop back up, he's going to see if he can get it to work on his Quest 2 until his 3 arrives, he's happy enough with how it runs, I'm just not sure how it'll cope running for hours on end...

From what I read, there is a modded BIOS for that particular laptop that gives the GPU 130w I think it was over its stock 60w, I cant image that would be happy though long term.
I would have ran something like Afterburner on it had it been mine and tried an undervolt on it but as its not mine, leaving it as was seemed the best option, I stuck some extra RAM in there and gave the insides a clean...

Are there any reasons that trigger Alyx being on sale, or is it a random thing?

He's just been round to pick the laptop back up, he's going to see if he can get it to work on his Quest 2 until his 3 arrives, he's happy enough with how it runs, I'm just not sure how it'll cope running for hours on end...

From what I read, there is a modded BIOS for that particular laptop that gives the GPU 130w I think it was over its stock 60w, I cant image that would be happy though long term.
I would have ran something like Afterburner on it had it been mine and tried an undervolt on it but as its not mine, leaving it as was seemed the best option, I stuck some extra RAM in there and gave the insides a clean...

Are there any reasons that trigger Alyx being on sale, or is it a random thing?

Usually it's in the main Steam sales, so keep an eye out for the next one.

A quick search suggests there may be one starting on 28 October.

Last edited:
I almost wish I had waited to get my Quest 3, could have had the 512Gb for the same price as the 128Gb one after the 3S dropped and they changed prices....

I ran Alyx on a 2GB GTX960, given any specs it'll run but a whole PC just for it?

On Steam it does go down to £16.99 on occasion.

Last edited:
I almost wish I had waited to get my Quest 3, could have had the 512Gb for the same price as the 128Gb one after the 3S dropped and they changed prices....
Plus a free Batman game :(

Am still kicking myself over the amount I could have saved if I bought my Quest 3 512GB less then two weeks later

Think it would have been around £170 I would have saved if I had waited about 12 days (135 saving on the Q3, 38 saving on Batman game)

Last edited:
Plus a free Batman game :(

Am still kicking myself over the amount I could have saved if I bought my Quest 3 512GB less then two weeks later

Think it would have been around £170 I would have saved if I had waited about 12 days (135 saving on the Q3, 38 saving on Batman game)

Not as bad as buying a Quest Pro for £1500 then have Meta drop the price £500 a couple of weeks later. Did get £50 store credit off Meta though as part compensation.

That said, I don't regret the money I spent as it's been an incredible headset for PCVR. Utterly blown away by how good it is.

Fifteen. Hundred. Pounds?

Christ

Still no headset out there with all its features in one compact package.

It should have had higher resolution displays and the Q3 innards really, but it's just amazing for PCVR. Q3 just looks so grey and washed out by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom