Am I being blonde?

Associate
OP
nice one cob, got that done, vmware and ubuntu installed, it ran last night but was getting late so decided not to run fah after installing it. Turned on this morning and now vmware loads but i don't know the log-in details!? Nothing seems to work i get this

There was a problem connecting:

Host address lookup for server david failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

I thought it was because i booted up without hitting f8 and selecting ignore digitally signed drivers, so i rebooted and tried that but still the same...any reasons!!??? GRRRR!! cheers!

Cob

Cob

Soldato
It can take a few minutes for VMWare to become usable after booting Windows. I won't pretend to know the reasons, but it's probably due to some of its processes or services being pre-set to a delayed start.

It can affect the rest of the computer too. I find that I can't access the net for a good 2 minutes after booting into Vista when i have VMWare Server installed. It is a PITA at the time, but I seldom reboot my machine anyway when I'm folding on it.

Btw, open Task Manager and set the VMWare process that's using all the CPU to Low priority. It'll make using Windows when folding a far better experience.

How much memory have you allocated to the Ubuntu VM? And how much to the Host?

Associate
Btw, open Task Manager and set the VMWare process that's using all the CPU to Low priority. It'll make using Windows when folding a far better experience.

Which process are you talking about mate? I've tried to set the vmware-vmx.exe process to low and it says the following:

"The operation could not be completed.

Access is denied."

There seem to be several other processes to choose from:

vmnat.exe
vmnetdhcp.exe
vmount2.exe
vmserverdWin32.exe
vmware-authd.exe

Associate
OP
It can take a few minutes for VMWare to become usable after booting Windows. I won't pretend to know the reasons, but it's probably due to some of its processes or services being pre-set to a delayed start.

It can affect the rest of the computer too. I find that I can't access the net for a good 2 minutes after booting into Vista when i have VMWare Server installed. It is a PITA at the time, but I seldom reboot my machine anyway when I'm folding on it.

How much memory have you allocated to the Ubuntu VM? And how much to the Host?

Okay nice one fella *be patient*! Low priority okay. Rebooting this vista lark is a pain in the aras, the amount of times it crashes during boot and restarts and just loops so i have to start in safe mode and then restart for it to work successfully....grrrr, and then the amount of time the hd is being accessed once it's booted is rediculous! Even after a fresh install it does this....it really encourages you to leave it on all time.

Memory....500mb i think with 8 gb virtual drive, not enough mem possibly?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Vista really shouldn't do that.

500mb is probably a little low. But it shouldn't cause any paging. Are you running one linuxSMP client or two?

Associate
OP
it's not doing anything at the moment! Waiting to log in to vm again. I wanted to get two running but as soon as you get one running on the cmd line in ubuntu server it just fills the screen with text and i can't do anything else other than quit the process. So i was going to download and install the gui in the hope that this would allow me to run fahmon, and another instance of fah....i hope!?

vista has done this to me ever since i installed the flaming thing and then started filling it up. The first install was a nightmare for doing it, then i realised the problem was installing crap that it didn't like, so i took my time with installing programs after the next install and it was fine for a period of time and started doing it again....not as bad as it was and hasn't done it for a few startup until today where it just refused to start normally. Never mind, not that fussed, i'll just leave it on :)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
If you set up each client using the -configonly flag, then install FAH as a service, then reboot, both clients will start folding behind the scenes. You don't even have to log in fit it to start.

Or if you don't want to run them as a service then you can start them by running the ./folding start command from within the foldingathome folder ( ./folding stop stops them).

SirusB's guide is pretty much a step-by-step guide to make it happen.

Associate
If your having problems booting vista I'd suggest fixing that before exerting huge amounts of stress on the system with FAH.

As Cob rightly said you shouldn't have any problems booting Vista.

Mine used to loop just as it started to actually load Vista for no reason but it appears to have stopped now I think I disasbled S.M.A.R.T. and set the CPU OC 0% I don't know whether that fixed it or whether it's just randomly decided to start working lol

Yours sounds more like a driver problem as you implied it only does it after you start loading stuff.

Mine was doing it on a clean install.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Associate
OP
sorry, i type in my poor speaking english most of the time and it comes across all wrong. When i started installing things is when the problems happen....it was fine installing the bulk of the stuff while i was being careful, and then it would run fine, and then just randomly loop during start-up, then it's fine, then it does it.....i tell you, it's just got a mind of its own! It's fine, don't worry, i just leave it on, it' run 100% cpu on smp windows client for days last week.

Back
Top Bottom