am i being scammed by aol

Associate
I have left aol a month now ( at long last ) have gone on there £2.95 a month to get any stray emails that contacts my send to the old address. i have just got a credit card bill for £88 phoned aol they tell me i have opted to use the aol sofware and they charge 1p per mintute for this hence the bill. needless to say i am furious and feel i am being scammed. has anyone else experienced this, they aol address i have is in ireland so i cannot even pursue a small claim in the county court. :mad:

Associate
OP
i did not realise that i was being charged, otherwise i would have used outlook or similar, i will take it up with the credit card compnay and tell them its unautorised

Associate
xma55 said:
I have left aol a month now ( at long last ) have gone on there £2.95 a month to get any stray emails that contacts my send to the old address. i have just got a credit card bill for £88 phoned aol they tell me i have opted to use the aol sofware and they charge 1p per mintute for this hence the bill. needless to say i am furious and feel i am being scammed. has anyone else experienced this, they aol address i have is in ireland so i cannot even pursue a small claim in the county court. :mad:

TBH I think anyone who goes with AOL is going to have a rough ride, especially when they try and disconnect. There are now plenty of good providers out there. If you have it in your area (and have the money) get a cable modem. For ADSL, Tiscali are now getting better and Eclipse's service is beyond reproach.

In answer to your question, I would be looking at the TOS especially regarding disconnection. If you were tied into a contract and disconnected before the contract was up then they may be charging you a disconnection fee. If everything looks spot on in the TOS I would start threatening some poor customer service person making reference to lots of consumer legislation mumbo-jumbo :D :p :D

Soldato
xma55 said:
i did not realise that i was being charged, otherwise i would have used outlook or similar, i will take it up with the credit card compnay and tell them its unautorised

i work in customer services for an ISP (not aol) and the majority of complaints we get are because customers dont read the T's and C's. Have a good read as adivised and if you still believe you are in the right follow it up.

I wouldnt just charge back the payment as if they are legally entitled to it as you have accepted their terms you may get the debt collectors knocking on your door to recover it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
its a fair point i would be happy for aol to have to go to all the hassel of getting debt collectors soliciters letters etc for £88, if i have to pay up so be it, but i will make them work for it :p

Associate
xma55 said:
its a fair point i would be happy for aol to have to go to all the hassel of getting debt collectors soliciters letters etc for £88, if i have to pay up so be it, but i will make them work for it :p

You dont want to go down that route, trust me.. Once you get debt collectors involved you wont be paying £88, but many times that amount. Not forgetting you being black listed and might get problems getting credit, mortgage, etc later on.. Just pay up, then fight them if you want.

Soldato
xma55 said:

The minute debt collectors are involved your £88 becomes £138 and that is before they charge for their first visit to collect the debt.

Simple rule in life - if you owe somebody money pay them or get in contact with them and speak about your debt.
Hiding or making "somebody work" to get their money will only end up costing YOU more.

Caporegime
I can feel a Dennis Waterman coming on

The original bill was £88

Baliff fees etc....

Total £498.11 pence.

:D

Remember watching that 'The Baliffs'

Some ppl only had parking fees of £60, and they ended up having to pay about £500 when the baliffs came round. :D

If they want £88 id pay it, as once the baliffs come round it could end up being a grand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom