Am i going crazy...

Associate
Hello everyone, i recently bought this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-SE2416H-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B012AQICKG
It's an IPS 24" display with 6 ms of advertised response time. However, from the moment i changed from my old TN 22" monitor to the new one, i noticed some sort of unsmoothness. In games 60 fps feels more like 40-50 fps tops. When i scroll on a webpage for e.x. i notice some sort of blur following parts of the site where colours have very different shades. Is it just me or is there something wrong? Is the response time too slow? Most of the posts i see online about response time suggest my eyes can't tell the difference in 99% of the cases.

Well now you know the difference between TN and IPS and most of those posts from people putting down TN all the time and claiming IPS slay it are not always correct, not for gaming anyway.

Unless you have some incorrect settings going on I would say that your eyes are used to the faster pixel transitions on the TN and now will need time to adjust. I game on TN only and use VA and IPS for other purposes as I can't live without the sheer speed of the TN panel I game on. It's worth sacrificing deeper colours than dealing with slower transitions and blur in my opinion if gaming is a priority.
Well now you know the difference between TN and IPS and most of those posts from people putting down TN all the time and claiming IPS slay it are not always correct, not for gaming anyway.

Unless you have some incorrect settings going on I would say that your eyes are used to the faster pixel transitions on the TN and now will need time to adjust. I game on TN only and use VA and IPS for other purposes as I can't live without the sheer speed of the TN panel I game on. It's worth sacrificing deeper colours than dealing with slower transitions and blur in my opinion if gaming is a priority.
Every forum treats this issue with sarcasm, telling me i must be "special" for noticing such a thing. Thank you for your reply good sir.

What you're experiencing is motion blur, or ghosting. This can be common on cheaper IPS panels, and will be more noticeable to a user who has recently used a TN panel.

Here's a good article for you (Scroll down to the 16/8/4/2/1 ms comparison photos): https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Edit: In your case, the blur is caused by the slow transition time of the pixels (since they take time to "switch" from one colour to another)
The IPS i have is one of the lower end ones. Thanks for the helpful article. Any suggestions for a cheap TN fast display with acceptable colours, 1080p and 24 inch?

At 60hz there is a huge difference in ghosting between IPS and TN. Those claiming IPS is acceptable for gaming are referring to 120hz+ models where the extra framerate somewhat offsets the poor pixel response.

Your monitor should have an overdrive option in the menu. Adjusting this may help reduce the ghosting or overshoot slightly.
The monitor has an option called "response time", which can be set to normal or fast. Setting it to fast makes it much worse. I can see the trail a mountain leaves on the sky for a higher amount of time and dhe trail becomes longer.

There are plenty of IPS monitors that refresh at 60 Hz that offer a perfectly acceptable gaming experience, and have very little motion blur. An example of one is the PB278Q. While on paper it didn't offer 1MS response time etc, it was great in terms of input lag and also had extremely low motion blur.
The one i have is a low tier IPS which costs roughly 1/3 of the one you mentioned. This might be the main problem i think, quality.

That's quite a cheap monitor, if gaming is a priority maybe spend a little more.

My IPS display is around 5-6 years old and I think rated for 6ms g2g, I've never noticed any ghosting and I came from a fast TN panel (2ms).

Not all IPS displays are equal.
The problem is not that i don't want to soend much money on a monitor, but the prices i have to pay. This cheapo IPS i have cost me 220$. The cheapest 144hz monitor i could find costs 350$ here.

:confused:

Says £149.99 10+ instock

Are you looking at buying from somewhere else ?
are you in the UK ?
Nope i live in Albania. Everything electronic is at least 40% more expensive here. I actually found that model for £186, but it still is IPS with 5ms GtG with some weird 1ms feature. Are you sure i will tell the difference from the Dell?

Wanted to make an update on my situation because it might help someone else. I tried turning contrast down from 75 to 65 and increase brightness from 65 to 100(to make up for the contrast change). It did help quite a bit. Games and scrolling feel much smoother now, much closer to the 60 fps feel.

I've heard increasing brightness can increase response time. Can't vouch for it as I don't notice it on my 60Hz IPS but I do notice the difference from 60Hz to 72Hz when overclocked. For example in driving games the car/bike turns better whereas on 60Hz it can feel like it's understeering, oddly enough. I also get mild dizziness at 60Hz when I turn the cam sharply. And it helps with scrolling smoothness. So that's something Wyndmere could also try, to squeeze even more improvement out.
You mean increasing brightness lowers response time (better) or increases it (worse)?

Back
Top Bottom