Am I too picky?

Soldato
I've noticed this amoungst my friends - they are all happy to buy whatever food from the supermarket. etc.

However, I always buy freshly baked rolls/bread, and only buy meat from a butcher's, never from a supermarket. I think it might be coming from working in the catering industry, i'm used to excellent food.

Am I just being extremely picky, is the meat/bread from supermarkets 'alright'?

Soldato
Stuff from supermarkets is alright, but its understandable that if your from a catering background that you prefer to use better quality products :)

Soldato
I buy meat from the Butchers, bread though I'll get from the supermarket.

We have a farmers market in town once a month so we'll get bread, cheese, meat, pies from the stalls there.

You just dont get any taste to the supermarket meat imo.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Down to personal taste I think. Go and try some cheap bread rolls, if you like them, keep buying them. Apply the same method to meat.

Personally speaking, I find butcher meat (from one butcher in particular) to be a higher quality in general, but you can get some great cuts from a supermarket if you know what you're looking for.

Soldato
Not picky at all. Practically everything in supermarkets is of poor quality, I try to avoid them as much as possible but it is getting more and more difficult to find places which sell good quality products :(

Soldato
Tru said:
Down to personal taste I think. Go and try some cheap bread rolls, if you like them, keep buying them. Apply the same method to meat.

Personally speaking, I find butcher meat (from one butcher in particular) to be a higher quality in general, but you can get some great cuts from a supermarket if you know what you're looking for.

I think it all comes down to if you know what you are looking for, generally speaking I will try and goto a butchers if im on my own as generally the meat is better prepared and I dont have to worry about looking for food which is off.

But like Tru has said you can find good meat if you know what you want/looking for.

KaHn

Soldato
Rich1988 said:
supermarkets can easily be suprerior to butchers, I work at waitrose and the beef from there is vastly superior to stuff I have gotten from the butchers.

Swings both ways, the butcher we go to personally knows the farmers he gets his produce from. The quality and freshness is far above our local supermarkets.

Support the small shops, once they go the supermarkets can serve up whatever they like and you won't know any better.

Don
merlin said:
I buy meat from the Butchers, bread though I'll get from the supermarket.

We have a farmers market in town once a month so we'll get bread, cheese, meat, pies from the stalls there.

You just dont get any taste to the supermarket meat imo.

I totally agree with you there

Stelly

Soldato
OP
A5H said:
What's wrong with supermarket fresh bread?
It's baked the same as bakers bake it?

I buy fresh bread from the supermarket, but never meat (if i'm buying it:p)

Small businesses are getting pushed out by supermarkets, the pub/restaurant I work in uses fresh, local products. People like that, and its reflected by the amount of trade we do.

Man of Honour
-westy- said:
People like that, and its reflected by the amount of trade we do.

Sure they like it, and it may be better on average than supermarket stuff, but this by no means makes supermarket produce poison.

Kerplunk said:
I found a rats tail in a loaf of bread once from Asda. Nice.

Got pics :p ?

Back
Top Bottom