Am i watching HDTV if i do this?

Soldato
Hi there,

In my bedroom i currently have a HItachi 17" TFT LCD and a 32 inch widescreen Sony TV. NOw the tv isnt a plasma or a lcd but one of the old school huge tvs.

anyway my graphics card is an ati9800 that has tv out (guess all gfx cards nowadays has tv out). Basically i have it set so that the tv acts as an extended desktop. The resolution on my Hitachi is 1280x1024 and i have set the resolution on my tv to 848x480 (i believe this is a 16:9 resolution which is good cos this tv is 16:9).

What i want to know is that if i download a film or tv show or movie/video that is encoded in say 720i, play this in windows media player and then drag this to the extended desktop and fullscreen, will i be watching in HDTV? i realise i cant experience 1080i as i cant get the resolution on my tv that high...

Being able to watch 720i tho would be pretty nice on a non lcd/plasma or have i got this completely wrong :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Pretty sure you have it wrong. You cant make a normal TV display more vertical lines like that. The tv output chip will be scaling the output into normal pal resolution.

Back
Top Bottom