AM5 board advice

Soldato
Seems to be a bit of a lack of AM5 motherboard threads? Anyhow, looking for some thoughts/advice.

Thinking of getting an AM4 board ahead of the x3d releases, I already have a z690 board in another system and it looks like AM5 would support at least another round of CPU releases.

Ideally I want to use 3/4 NVME drives without impacting the GPU, it looks to me like some b650 boards will reduce the PCIE speed when using more than 2/3 nvme’s?

With that in mind I’m thinking x670e. I already have 32GB (2x16) of Kingston Fury DDR5 6000 CL36 (KF560C36BBEK2-32) and ideally I would want to get another set at some point. I’m aware some boards don’t seem to like 4 full dimms? Is anyone running 4 with success at XMP with those kinds of speeds?

My shortlist is:

X670E-A strix (around £400)
X670E-F strix (can get for £370)

These look like exactly the same board just different colours?

Otherwise, is there anything else anyone recommends? Would love a start button/code readout but seems like you have to spend a lot more to get that. I do like the look of the b650-e master but not a fan of potential limitations with the PCIE lanes…?

I ordered the Strix X670E-F in the end, it seemed like the best middle of the pack option at around £370, still not what I would class as ‘cheap’ but feature wise it seems to make sense. The X670E-E is substantially more expensive, has a few extra features like 110A vs 90A but I really can’t see any of these being meaningful. And at that price point you might as well just get a Hero - but really not sure the Hero is worth an extra £260 over the Strix-F to me…

Now I just need to wait for some CPU’s to launch :)

Last edited:
What DDR5 did you go for?

I haven’t decided yet - or maybe I have, it depends…I have a z690 board in another system (or will be soon) and I may use the DDR5 I already bought in that. Otherwise, I have a set of Kingston Fury Beast 6000 CL36 32GB (2x16GB - KF560C36BBEK2-32) that I might use.

If I use that in the z690 board then I will need to get some more DDR5. Might just end up buying the same ram again, it looks decent value compared to some brands. Though I would ideally like 64GB in the X670 system.

Contemplating on the 5600 kit myself as performance wise hardly any difference between them.

It’s probably more likely to run perfectly fine at XMP as well. The only thing I still need to do some reading on is if there is a sweet spot for speed/timings if filling all 4 dimm slots.

I've been doing some deep dives into speeds, etc and that i'm unsure of as I only intend in running 1 kit. Might be an idea to get 1 bigger kit tgan running 4?

Think you might be right, 2x32 if I really want 64 instead of 4x16. Less chance for problems?

I went a bit mental and ordered a X670E Gene which was the board I was so excited about at launch (until I saw the pricing). Somehow I convinced myself with 10% off to buy one over the Strix F, looks like I’m going all in for a mATX build…

I recently bought the x670e Crosshair Hero motherboard. It should arrive soon. I can see from the manual is says you can connect a PD 12V PWR (aka 6 pin GPU power cable) to it for 60w of power to the PCIE x 16 slots. If you don’t you are limited to 27w. Does anyone know what this would mean in normal use?

I don’t understand why the manual says that when it also refers (page1-14) to the fast charge feature on the front USB-C header requiring the 6 pin PCIE input…

Back
Top Bottom