• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AM5 burnt socket pin/finger?

Soldato
I was swapping out my 7500F for a 7700X the other day and was having trouble getting it to post. I think in the end it was just down to me not having reset the CMOS first & the new CPU not being happy with the old settings from the off. I ended up putting the 7500F in temporarily and it did POST and get into Windows but when I went to swap the chips round again, I noticed this:

zPHAxZf.png

As you can see, one of the fingers as well as being slightly bent looks a bit darker than the rest :(

I am using an ASUS motherboard & obviously there were issues with chips getting fried but this looks a lot more localised, plus the system seemed fine when I last powered it off. Apart from needing to straighten it out somehow, should I be worried about using it going forward?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's always concerning if a pin is much darker than the rest as it does look burnt but unless you know why then it's just a guess.

Have you looked at the bottom of your CPU to see if there's any marks ?

Would also get the bios updated if not already done.

Soldato
OP
It's always concerning if a pin is much darker than the rest as it does look burnt but unless you know why then it's just a guess.

Have you looked at the bottom of your CPU to see if there's any marks ?

Would also get the bios updated if not already done.
The BIOS is already on the latest version, so I don't think this is as a result of the SOC overvolting issue. The contacts on both chips look fine. I had ordered a replacement board on eBay for £100 but the seller has just decided to cancel the order :mad:

Man of Honour
The BIOS is already on the latest version, so I don't think this is as a result of the SOC overvolting issue. The contacts on both chips look fine. I had ordered a replacement board on eBay for £100 but the seller has just decided to cancel the order :mad:
It could just been over soldered or flux got onto that pin in the manufacturing process and been there all the time, but I'm sure you would have checked the pins first

Personally I would just straighten the pin , use to the 7500f in it for a month to see if all's well , rather then spend out for a new motherboard.

Soldato
It could just been over soldered or flux got onto that pin in the manufacturing process and been there all the time, but I'm sure you would have checked the pins first

Personally I would just straighten the pin , use to the 7500f in it for a month to see if all's well , rather then spend out for a new motherboard.
This. I would normally say get it replaced through warranty but as its an Asus board they will just say you did it

Soldato
OP
@El Jimben - This is your pin now my dude!! They are tiny little things aren't they - Totally wouldn't recommend working on them without some serious magnification.

i bent it all back into shape for you and cleaned up the pin :) It should work just fine for you now!
Top man, thanks again! I'm going to put the system back together tonight, so I'll let you know how I get on.

You're 100% right re the pins, there was no way I was going to try unbending it using the magnifying app on my phone :o

Man of Honour
Top man, thanks again! I'm going to put the system back together tonight, so I'll let you know how I get on.

You're 100% right re the pins, there was no way I was going to try unbending it using the magnifying app on my phone :o

My pleasure dude, let us all know how you get on. Funny thing is I bet you couldn't spot which pin it was now even under your phones camera :D As I was saying it looked darker etc just because the way it was bent meant that it was hiding the shiny bit of the pin. The pin itself was basically fine. Its funny how cameras, eyes and light can really play tricks on you with certain images.

Man of Honour

How's the board my dude all working as it should?

Reactions: J.D
Soldato
OP
How's the board my dude all working as it should?
So far so good mate! I've been swapping between this board & another one in an attempt to work out whether I've got a duff 7700X, so I've not had loads of time to put it through it's paces but I suspect that it's good as new :) Thanks again for your help, you did me a massive favour!

Reactions: J.D
Man of Honour
So far so good mate! I've been swapping between this board & another one in an attempt to work out whether I've got a duff 7700X, so I've not had loads of time to put it through it's paces but I suspect that it's good as new :) Thanks again for your help, you did me a massive favour!

This is good news! From experience if it doesn't just work its probably dodgey, send it back for a new one!

Back
Top Bottom