Amazon Dash-Button

Associate
Okay, so I had to check this wasn't an April Fools joke its called Amazon dash-button. It's A little fob like device that basically you press a button and the signal goes to your phone via bluebooth or WiFi, and then your phone places an order via the Amazon app.

It's only available in the US at the moment for Prime members. I use subscribe and save here in the UK for coffee, deodorant, personal products washing powder ect...

I would use one if it became available in the UK what do you think?

Amazon page
https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-button

BBC report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32153581

DM link as is the style these days
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3020284/Amazon-reveals-smart-ordering-button-stick-fridge-says-working-firms-create-smart-home-appliances-reorder-themselves.html

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a bit of a gimmick tbh. Who is to say that Amazon will be the cheapest provider of said product anyway without checking online?

Associate
OP
I could see it being handy as I said in OP I use Amazon allot. Say it was in the cupboard where the coffee is kept or with the laundry products it would work. running low press button. no need to think about ordering later or when less busy. I want it now.

Man of Honour
Sure you might be able to get it cheaper somewhere else, but as long as it's within 10% of the lowest price available online I wouldn't think twice about using it for low cost things like this. Ultimately it's redundant if you plan properly but for people who don't, that "I need it soon and can't trust myself to remember" factor is quite a big deal.

Man of Honour
You don't I guess, but that's the price you pay for convenience isn't it! On low cost items like this, how much extra would you really be paying even if it was a 50% markup? A few pounds a month? Worth it if you're the sort of person who finds yourself in the lurch like that and doesn't have the time or inclination to stop at the shops.

Associate
OP
You don't I guess, but that's the price you pay for convenience isn't it! On low cost items like this, how much extra would you really be paying even if it was a 50% markup? A few pounds a month? Worth it if you're the sort of person who finds yourself in the lurch like that and doesn't have the time or inclination to stop at the shops.

Exactly, although for me its less about being in the lurch more not having to mingle with cretins the only thing I don't buy online is Fuel.

Caporegime
I like the idea, but it falls down when it comes to delivery. What's the point of having a quick ordering system if your goods are going to fail to be delivered 3 times and then you have to wait until the weekend and go and collect your bog roll from the post office as it requires a signature?

The safe guards in the system to only allow 1 order at a time must rely on a proof of delivery, and unless your at home all the time it could end up being more faff than just going to the shop

Soldato
I guess anyone that can justify spending £79 on Amazon Prime can justify a few percent mark up for convenience. I don't think it's a bad idea, it's just not for me.

Man of Honour
I like the idea, but it falls down when it comes to delivery. What's the point of having a quick ordering system if your goods are going to fail to be delivered 3 times and then you have to wait until the weekend and go and collect your bog roll from the post office as it requires a signature?

We'll stick to using the supermarket delivery, which may well give us offers on the shopping list and more importantly allow us to choose the date and time of our household delivery.

Oh and if we actually run out of bog paper it can be here in ten minutes by getting it from the local shops. It's called the Walk-Button which Amazon can't beat and keeps our carbon footprint under control. :p

Man of Honour
I guess anyone that can justify spending £79 on Amazon Prime can justify a few percent mark up for convenience. I don't think it's a bad idea, it's just not for me.

If you order much Amazon prime pays for itself - I'd "saved" £60+ on delivery costs in the first month and a half of using it :S

Man of Honour
If you order much Amazon prime pays for itself - I'd "saved" £60+ on delivery costs in the first month and a half of using it :S

Crikey - how much stuff do you buy!!! I've made one order from Amazon since Christmas (on razor blades because they were cheap).

Last edited:
Associate
Cant wait for the first news story of a parent sueing amazon because their child spammed the button and they now have a massive bill and nowhere to put all that bog roll

Soldato

Too right that £1.50 per week hits hard for all those damn free deliveries and season 6 SOA:cool:

Associate
OP
I get most things delivered to work. also use Amazon for work related purchases
Motorola TLKR T80 Extreme two-way radio - PMR (Quad)
Sold by: liGo
£142.99

4 of Bolle ATOV Polycarbonate Visor Atom Safety Goggle
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£6.08

Network Lan Kit RJ11 RJ12 CAT5 RJ45 Cable Tester+Crimping Crimper+Connector Tool
Sold by: Mercurymall(shipped from HongKong)
£10.59

100 Pcs Soft Plastic Ethernet RJ45 Cable Connector Boots Plug Cover
Sold by: sourcingmap
£7.70

150 Pcs RJ45 8P8C Network Cable CAT5E Cat6 Connector Crimp Plug Clear
Sold by: sourcingmap
£10.06

5 of Lux Optical - Safety Glasses -POKELUX tinted
Sold by: QUALITY SAFETY PRODUCTS
Add-on Items are dispatched with any qualifying order over £10Add-on Item
£2.70

Makita GA5030 720W 240V 125mm Slim Angle Grinder
£50.59

5 of CAT Caterpillar Workwear Premium Work Safety Deerskin Gloves With Padded Palm
Sold by: CISSBURY RETAIL
£12.99

7 of Bolle ATOAPSI Ventilated Safety Goggles - Clear
£8.03

Brite Window Glass Plastic & Tile Cleaner (20L). Cleaning Accessories Powered by TheChemicalHut.
Sold by: The Chemical Hut
£34.99

Espuma 0708-05 5L Savvy Rubber and Vinyl Dressing
£19.88

5x 750ml Complete Yellow Hand Trigger Spray Bottles for Cleaning, Gardening and Feeding - Comes With TCH Anti-Bacterial Pen!
Sold by: The Chemical Hut
£9.99

4 of Vileda Scrubbing Brush
£2.00

Draper 43853 4-Piece Funnel Set
£0.98

MAKITA BL1830 18.0V 3.0Ah Lithium-ion Battery (638409-2) - Genuine (2)
Sold by: UKToolMart
£109.99

Thats just march/april
forgetting all of the personal purchases

Back
Top Bottom