Amazon Fire TV Stick

Soldato
Hi all.
We're re-doing our Sky sub and will be removing multiroom. Looking to get an Amazon Fire TV Stick for the bedroom to utilise Prime and Netflix.

Anyone got the latest version of the stick and can comment on the performance? It'll be for 80% Netflix and 20% Prime.

Just want to ensure it's not going to be a laggy piece of **** before i pull the trigger.

Associate
It's a laggy piece of ***** alright.

Had one for 9 months and gave up with it. Was slower than a slow thing. Also. Unless you leave it constantly switched on (it doesn't go to sleep as such) you will have to pull the batteries from the remote to reconnect it when you start it up again. And even then it takes forever to respond to any button pushes. Woeful.

We've just upgraded our TV and Bluray player. The Amazon Apps on both perform like lightning in comparison.

Associate
I use mine (Gen1 i think )daily for Netflix and Amazon Prime and the only time I have had any lag was during the hot months when It was connected directly to the back of my AV unit and it was over heating. So I would advise using the HDMI extender cable than comes with it. I would also advise getting the voice remote it works great.

Man of Honour
I've got the 1st gen. No issues here. It lags a tiny bit for the first few seconds after turning it on (presumably downloading the home screen). But fine after that and I haven't had any issues that require the batteries being removed. It was one of the best £40 I've spent. It's great and I watch Netflix, Youtube, iplayer, etc on it.

Associate
I had the version one. It worked very well. The picture was very good, better than feeding my PC to the screen, I think because of how Chrome handles/d video.
It is a little slow to navigate around, but unless you want to channel surf, it's not an issue.
You can also put Kodi on it (the version one at least).

Soldato
Got 1st gen of both the Fire TV and Fire stick and both have been flawless, just switch it on as soon as I walk in the bedroom and by the time I've been to the loo or hung my cloths up it's caught up and is ready to play fine.

I only had the battery issue once which was when we brought it back from the flat in London and I hadn't used it for about a week but a quick re-sync and it was fine again.

Soldato
Get the fire tv box,had mine 2 years and its been faultless.

Having used various streaming devices, I'd agree with this.

I had the Fire stick and ended up upgrading to the Fire TV box. The stick is ok, but for regular use at home I'd definitely go for a proper box over the stick.

Associate
Have to say I've been mightily impressed with Amazons UHD streaming content via the Sony platform recently. Mad Max is , well, Mad in every respect. Complete bunkum as a story but enjoyable in a boom crash tinkle splutter kinda way.

Associate
I got the newest one with Alexa voice command and it’s fine. I have virgin internet and it streams great weather I use Netflix, prime and I also have kodi on it too

Back
Top Bottom