Amazon Prime - Counterfeits?

Man of Honour
Alternative title: “will I die if I buy these hair clippers?”

I have crap genes and no hair. I want to buy my own clippers. These clippers look great (comes with 10 premium blades too, nice, not that I need them all):

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product/cordless-senior/

But you can’t seem to buy them anywhere legitimately from a legitimate looking shop unless you are a pro-barber (and I’m squeaky clean so don’t want to lie). This is very annoying. Amazon has them listed here and here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippers-b...s=wahl+senior&qid=1562602942&s=gateway&sr=8-3

^ different box from the official one on the website, seems to come with less blades, comments suggests some dodginess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Cordl...s=wahl+senior&qid=1562603027&s=gateway&sr=8-4

^ product descriptive is mega naff and comments also imply it’s a bit dodge.

Litrilly frightened for my life. Would you trust buying from Prime in the circumstances? Anyone had problems with dodgy Prime purchases before? Any tips on how to grow more hair? In b4 the implants.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Wahl are ok, i use Remmington clippers for my hair.

I,m over 50 so its just a manly grade zero on the sides with a grade 1 on top.

Last time i used Prime i accidently ordered a ,mood music whale sounds cd, and i lost the use of my legs.

Buyer beware i guess

Soldato
OP confusing me here, someone really gonna bother counterfeiting clippers?

Maybe.... but if it's amazon prime it'll be amazon sending them on behalf of a 3rd party supplier. If they are fakes you can easily send it back and kick up a massive stink.

Edit: Also reviews are super misleading at times on amazon.... Like I bought a chair for pc desk and it had quite a few complaints 1 star reviews etc.

I took the plunge and it's probably one of best chairs i've ever owned.

Man of Honour
someone really gonna bother counterfeiting clippers?

All sorts of things get faked - brand name styling products are a big target.

Buying from Amazon Prime massively cuts down on the chance of a counterfeit and better comeback if it is but doesn't eliminate the chance sadly :( and often you get comments from people who've bought from one of the cheaper sellers rather than prime listed as verified buyers where the actual version sold by Amazon itself is genuine.

Have an annoying one at the moment as I just bought an SD card from Amazon Prime as the ones direct from them of this brand/model are usually genuine and instead they've fulfilled the order from a dodgy seller who was also cheaper, a day later dispatching and has several times by the looks of reviews shipped fakes albeit it looks like they aren't knowingly selling fakes just not very discerning.

Soldato
Amazon does suffer from counterfeits, usually products with multiple 3rd party sellers so you can't trust the reviews as you don't know which seller they bought the product from. You see it on the business forums from fulfillment sellers as the pickers don't necessarily pick their stock and send another companies stock which isn't legit, so sometimes even a trusted seller might send one out. If they are dangerous or not is a different discussion as many of them will be made by the same factories as the originals.

Man of Honour
If you are buying Wahl stuff BTW have a look at the sets as sometimes you can get the same clippers, etc. for some reason as part of a set for cheaper or only a tiny bit more than the individual item cost for instance last year I got a gift set including 2x additional trimmers, 3-4 extra comb attachments over what came with the individual clipper and various additional accessories like scissors for only £3.99 more than buying the clippers on their own - one of the trimmers is like £17 to buy individually alone.

Soldato
Alternative title: “will I die if I buy these hair clippers?”

I have crap genes and no hair. I want to buy my own clippers. These clippers look great (comes with 10 premium blades too, nice, not that I need them all):

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product/cordless-senior/

But you can’t seem to buy them anywhere legitimately from a legitimate looking shop unless you are a pro-barber (and I’m squeaky clean so don’t want to lie). This is very annoying. Amazon has them listed here and here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippers-b...s=wahl+senior&qid=1562602942&s=gateway&sr=8-3

^ different box from the official one on the website, seems to come with less blades, comments suggests some dodginess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Cordl...s=wahl+senior&qid=1562603027&s=gateway&sr=8-4

^ product descriptive is mega naff and comments also imply it’s a bit dodge.

Litrilly frightened for my life. Would you trust buying from Prime in the circumstances? Anyone had problems with dodgy Prime purchases before? Any tips on how to grow more hair? In b4 the implants.

Thanks.

Dont you mean Amazon, oh wait your not a cretin and can actually type Amazon :)

Caporegime
Amazon Prime sells loads of fakes stuff, becoming more and more an issue.

Plus side you can side them back without issue but how do you know they are fakes? Some are really good and unless you already have a real one, you might never know.

Caporegime
To OP

At those prices they will be real. The fake wahl's are on ali express for like £15-£40. Some people say they are good others say they aren't.

I have bought the majority of mine off Salons Direct as they offered better pricing than CoolBlades, and I bought 1 off amazon or ebay can't remember which.

I own the following

Wahl Balding - Corded
Wahl 5 Star Magic Clip - Limited edition cordless (black and gold)
Andis Slimline Pro Li Cordless Trimmer
Andis Microfoil Shaver

I can recommend all of the above. Possibly worth going for a Braun over the Andis Microfoil but the price difference is like £35 vs £500 for the top end Braun and the difference will be it's quicker and possibly irritates less. So for the money Andis won out.

Wahl and Andis are essentially the top 2 brands when it comes to barbers. There is another but I forget the name but it's impossible to get them over here for cheap anyway they are only worth buying if you live in USA.

Do not buy the cheap crap sold in argos (cheap residential Wahl, ramington, phillips, etc). Go with proper barber gear. it pays for itself inside a few months and will last a lifetime. My balding must be 10 years old and still not needed to sharpen the blade or buy a replacement. still cuts a lot quicker and better than my 1 year old magic clip. that is the big difference between corded and cordless. corded is just much more powerful

If you are buying Wahl stuff BTW have a look at the sets as sometimes you can get the same clippers, etc. for some reason as part of a set for cheaper or only a tiny bit more than the individual item cost for instance last year I got a gift set including 2x additional trimmers, 3-4 extra comb attachments over what came with the individual clipper and various additional accessories like scissors for only £3.99 more than buying the clippers on their own - one of the trimmers is like £17 to buy individually alone.

they only do that on the cheap crap. he is looking at professional barber clippers

I have a set of Wahl clippers. They work very well. Don't bother with cordless: the cord isn't a problem.

I'd say go corded as they are much more powerful and a lot cheaper.

However cordless is super easy to use, lighter and convenient. I don't need to run a huge extension lead to the bathroom, etc.

Caporegime
If you want decent ones I can recommend these, but you need a US step down converter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JJBC9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are excellent. I paid £99.99 for them so they can be had for a lot less than the current listed price if you can catch them at the right time or find them somewhere else.

Yeah OSTER are the make I was thinking about see my post above.

However I don't see why you would pick them here in the UK. A lot of hassle when Wahl / Andis will do the same job for less than half the cost.

Man of Honour
they only do that on the cheap crap. he is looking at professional barber clippers

Can't see anything at the minute but I've seen the Magic Clip in sets like that before - was a promotional one last Christmas though no idea if it was Wahl or the retailer who did it.

Man of Honour
OP
Thank you all for your very helpful input! :)

After a lot of umming and ahhing, I’ve opted to give the quick cut clippers a whirl since they seem to have very good reviews for cheap tat and, if they are total rubbish then, heck, only £30 down the drain and I’ll invest in a proper pair.

These ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-HC4250-Quick-Hair-Clipper/dp/B012F8MS9A

Get those. I am also follicly challenged and these are immense. Can cut my hair in 10 mins and shape the beard up!

I do fall into the trap of always making sure I am getting ‘top rate’ stuff for everything and that means I spend beyond my means often. Let’s see how it works out with this compromise purchase - hopefully I won’t die! :o :p

I’ll give a cheeky update once I’ve had a trim.

Caporegime
Thank you all for your very helpful input! :)

After a lot of umming and ahhing, I’ve opted to give the quick cut clippers a whirl since they seem to have very good reviews for cheap tat and, if they are total rubbish then, heck, only £30 down the drain and I’ll invest in a proper pair.

These ones:

I do fall into the trap of always making sure I am getting ‘top rate’ stuff for everything and that means I spend beyond my means often. Let’s see how it works out with this compromise purchase - hopefully I won’t die! :o :p

I’ll give a cheeky update once I’ve had a trim.

they will likely do the job but until you try something like a wahl senior you don't know how bad a job they are doing.

wahls pro clippers the corded ones go through thick hair with ease and 1 fast stroke.

cheap crap gets stuck, or you need to go slowly or do multiple runs.

my balding clippers were only like £35/£45 10 years ago. my magic clips were like £150 (limited edition). and yet the balding does things in 1 swipe and the magic clip takes 2-4. that is a top end wahl cordless too.

edit: just seen the one you bought. LOL. good luck cutting real hair with that. no way will that be powerful enough. you will need to go over the same spot 10 times.

if you wanted to save money should have went with a pro wahl that was corded. they are cheap as chips yet 100 times better than the tat you get in argos.

Back
Top Bottom