Amazon prime vs Netflix which is better ?

Soldato
In your option which is better Amazon prime or Netflix.
With Nexflix increasing the price and removing a lot of show I thought it would be a good time to consider both.

Both are around the same price
Amazon £5.99 for just video 4k HDR or £7.99 with all benefit. inc music, free delivery, audio books, ebooks. photo storage

Netflix £5.99 1 screen no HD, 2 screens £7.99 with HD not 4k, £11.99 with 4 screens 4k

Both are very similar in use.

Netflix seam to have a lot more original movies and show (stranger things, The bodyguard ) but it it seam to remove show often.

Amazon seam to have more choice but not many good originals

Last edited:
Soldato
I watch Netflix a lot more than Prime Video. I don't think I would pay for Prime Video on its own, but it's a nice part of the overall Prime subscription (I use the included delivery a lot).

You can get free trials on both of them, can't you?

Man of Honour
I'd probably say I watch Netflix more than Prime Video - there isn't really enough Prime content to be a replacement for Netflix but they do a few good original shows and a better option if you are going to be buying things like recent movie releases, etc. (though you don't need Prime to do that).

Soldato
OP
I watch Netflix a lot more than Prime Video. I don't think I would pay for Prime Video on its own, but it's a nice part of the overall Prime subscription (I use the included delivery a lot).

You can get free trials on both of them, can't you?
Yes I can try them both out and see for myself but I wanted to see what others thought as well, hoping other who have used them a lot longer could give a better comparison. because its not the same every month.

I got a prime membership a few days a go on primeday for the shipping but I dont use amazon that often, so it wont be something I get every month unless I see a use for it, the videos streaming was a bonus so it was a good time to consider a comparison with Netflix.

I've not used amazon much yet but I find its a lot better then it use to be and it has a lot more benefits for the price, with the time ive spent with it, it has a good selection of non original show.

Here is my quick comparison from the few days i've spent with it both seam very similar in use.

Amazon Pros -
Price - for the price it has a lot of benefit's, if you use them all.
6 months free and 50% off if your a student
One day delivery,
Music,
Video (4k HDR),
Ebooks,
Audio books.
Photo storage

Huge selection of non original movies and show.
You can buy or rent movies / shows even if they are not on prime.
I've not seen any price increase

Amazon Cons -
So far is it does not have any good original (like netflix 6+ years ago) which could be bad if like netflix they loose some of the Licensed Content.
Most of the Movies / shows are available in other places
A lot of 4k seam to be paid
Has extra channels but comes at a cost

Netflix Pros -
Great originals you cant watch anywhere else.
Invests in new shows and takes the time to do them right.
Takes or relaunches good shows other cancel.
Good selection

Netflix Cons -
Price Increase every year or two
Higher price for more options
Remove things a lot quicker then it use to.
Has lost some of its exclusives and Licensed Content.
less choice then it use to have

At the moment I think each have their own place but its getting harder to justify the price increases of netflix and with new platforms coming out it will be even harder.

Bosch is a good series on prime.
I may give Bosch a go, ive seen this actor in a few things and hes always good.

Checking some of the other originals I've also come across Sneaky Pete and Goliath look good as well.

Man of Honour
Some are available elsewhere and/or have been show on Sky, etc. but there is a bunch of Amazon shows like Lucifer, Mr Robot, Good Omens, American Gods, The Man in the High Castle that are pretty decent. They also have older series of a lot of shows on Prime now like Lost and Fear the Walking Dead, etc. (obviously some of those can be watched on other services as well).

And if you've not seen it elsewhere The Expanse is now on Prime.

Soldato
OP
Some are available elsewhere and/or have been show on Sky, etc. but there is a bunch of Amazon shows like Lucifer, Mr Robot, Good Omens, American Gods, The Man in the High Castle that are pretty decent. They also have older series of a lot of shows on Prime now like Lost and Fear the Walking Dead, etc. (obviously some of those can be watched on other services as well).

And if you've not seen it elsewhere The Expanse is now on Prime.
Most are available elsewhere but the good thing is they have complete series and good selection of show even if you can watch them in other places which netflix does not, the other benefit is they seam to stay on a lot longer.

Lucifer is only available upto seasoin 3 because netflix picked it up after cancellation and made season 4.

Soldato
I watch Netflix quite a lot more than I watch Prime. Prime often have audio sync issues to the point I have sometimes had to find 'other' ways of watching the show. Prime also seem to sometimes give the first X amount of seasons for free, then want you to pay for the most recent season, which is not good.

Unfortunately different companies are wanting to make their own streaming service, like Disney, so both Netflix and Prime might lose access to more shows. As said, Netflix have more and more of their own content though, which they can't lose unless they cancel it themselves.

Soldato
Netflix I pay for monthly as it always has new stuff coming out that I enjoy, Amazon Prime I only get when Grand Tour is on or I'll put a month on if something is out I enjoy such as Bosch.

Soldato
Preacher, Man in the High Castle, Jack Ryan and Hanna all good Prime originals. Now that's not a year of viewing but I think in the last year or so Amazon has really started pushing really hard and the quality of their content is really improving. There are other good shows I've not watched like Bosch, Mr Robot etc. When taken with Amazon music and Prime delivery I think it's a really good offering for the price.

Soldato
Amazon always seems to have some better or newer films in rotation, Netflix has better TV shows and some really niche old cult films and stuff which are sometimes funny to watch.

Soldato
I'd say Netflix wins on content, I don't have prime as I try to avoid Amazon, but they don't really have much I'd want to watch.

I do wish Netflix would do a slightly cheaper 4K package with less screens. I do want 4K but don't need 4 screens.

Soldato
Netflix wins on content and actual usefulness as the Prime app on Samsung TVs seems to always be out of audio sync so I never bother watching the content. Annoying as a few things I want to pick back up, Preacher and Man in the High Castle especially.

Soldato
Netflix is a lot better for content and how often its updated, but then Prime has more to offer than video content..... So would not really be comparing the two together

Soldato
Netflix is really started to feel very McDonalds over the last 12-18 months, mass produced average quality programming that fits the masses. There are some real great shows in the sea of mediocrity but overall, i'm less impressed with them as each year passes.

By contrast, Amazon content seems better written and produced but maybe thats to do with a lot of adaptions of existing material.

I should clarify I am talking about Netflix/Amazon produced content, not the entire libraries of material.

Soldato
I started with just Prime 3 or 4 years ago, and was really happy with it, but got Netflix a year or so after (Mrs cheesyboy wanted to watch The Crown): I would say it's now split about 80:20 in viewing time between the two, in favour of Netflix. There's just a lot more good shows on Netflix. And it's easier to find new stuff, without Prime pushing paid content at you all the time.

Prime Originals are not as good or as varied as Netflix Originals. I'm not sure Amazon even has any original adult (western) cartoons, for example. And if they do that's another illustration of the difficulty navigating the library.

Movies selection seems similar, but I don't watch a lot of movies.

Soldato
I use Netflix more, although I think Prime is good value and use the free delivery a lot. Both have enough original content that I am interested in so both worth it for me. One thing I would say that has me using Netflix more is that the Windows 10 app works with 5.1 whereas you have to use the Amazon TV app for surround (and 4k) to work. Usually not an issue but sometimes I like to browse whilst watching something and it's nice to have 5.1.

Back
Top Bottom