• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 64 3500 to Opty?

Associate
25 of the 165 still in stock with ********. The K8N Diamond is a very good 939 board. You should be able to hit 3.0ghz with a 165 :)

Search for the 165 at this price comparing site and ******** can be found.

Soldato
OP
Killajaz said:
25 of the 165 still in stock with ********. The K8N Diamond is a very good 939 board. You should be able to hit 3.0ghz with a 165 :)

Search for the 165 at this price comparing site and ******** can be found.

I don't have the diamond board, i have the K8 Neo4 Platinum i think :) Like i said not 100% sure on how to really even OC it, but i see you on MSN killajaz, will bug you later :D (Aww there's no santa satan smily!)

Associate
Aye I found it on that particular site, but then I found the 170 for only £5 more on another site. Now I wish I had ordered the 165 from the tourette's society (*********) 'cause the other site is no doubt going to be out of stock by the time they process the orders.

The obvious solution is for OCUK to get more opties so we can just buy from them :p

My Neo2 plat is happy to hit 300 HTT so I should have some jolly good fun regardless of what I get.

Associate
Er I meant Platinum Ivan :) It is one of the best 939 overclocking boards with the right bios.
FYI, the ASUS A8N-E used to oc my mediocre 165 would hit 300HTT easy. And this board is not even considered a 'major' clocker. With your MSI boards I am convinced the CPU will be hitting the roof first, unless you have no clue what you are doing :D

Permabanned
Good thread this. I started off with a 3000+ 939 winnie and on an Asrock board I could clock it to 2.4 gig. I sold it and bought a 3800+ which is a Venice core and because the vcore on that chip is higher by default I could not clock it as I could not put enough volts through it with my current board. If I bought the DFI 939 board from Overclockers with its stupidly high Vcore settings, I could probably see 3 gig with it.

IMHO I would get a Opty chip if looking for a replacement.

Soldato
OP
Aye, i'm definitely looking for a replacement, i think a £120ish chip that'll extend this system's life as a gaming (wow etc..) internet ready vista work machine will be a good buy in my eyes, i don't play many PC games so am not gonna go over the top with it all, i would just like to go dual core mostly for when more multi core apps become available, to maybe ease the load when vista comes around, and to dump WOW onto one core while working! ;) lol

170 is looking good in my head right now, or would the 165 be an ok choice too?

Permabanned
Frippy said:
Good thread this. I started off with a 3000+ 939 winnie and on an Asrock board I could clock it to 2.4 gig. I sold it and bought a 3800+ which is a Venice core and because the vcore on that chip is higher by default I could not clock it as I could not put enough volts through it with my current board. If I bought the DFI 939 board from Overclockers with its stupidly high Vcore settings, I could probably see 3 gig with it.

IMHO I would get a Opty chip if looking for a replacement.

im presuming you have the asrock dual 939 ?

are you dropping the HTT and memory frequencys, i had my venice at 2.7Ghz on air cooling on my asrock, currently running my water cooled opteron 148 @ 2.95Ghz 1.425v on the same mobo.

Ivan Drago said:
170 is looking good in my head right now, or would the 165 be an ok choice too?

with your board an opty 165 would prbably get you about 2.7 to 2.8Ghz per core, opty 170 between 2.75 and 3Ghz per core. all depends on the price difference i suppose.

Soldato
OP
locutus12 said:
with your board an opty 165 would prbably get you about 2.7 to 2.8Ghz per core, opty 170 between 2.75 and 3Ghz per core. all depends on the price difference i suppose.

Aye, i'm guessing so, i don't really want it with the mad intentions of going way to the max, just something a bit more than what i have right now ([email protected]) stable as anything, not too hot, an extra core, extra 512kb cache per core, i'm sure you know what i mean, i'm not trying to push it to the extremes, if you think i'll be safe & well pushing an opty 165 to 2.6ghz per core and leaving it there safe, stable & happy (enermax noisetaker 485W psu i believe)

Then just say so :D Sorry for all the questions & seeming unsure, i just...am! :D

Associate
Ivan Drago said:
Aye, i'm guessing so, i don't really want it with the mad intentions of going way to the max, just something a bit more than what i have right now ([email protected]) stable as anything, not too hot, an extra core, extra 512kb cache per core, i'm sure you know what i mean, i'm not trying to push it to the extremes, if you think i'll be safe & well pushing an opty 165 to 2.6ghz per core and leaving it there safe, stable & happy (enermax noisetaker 485W psu i believe)

Then just say so :D Sorry for all the questions & seeming unsure, i just...am! :D

Personally mate, if the price difference is minimal then I would deffo go for the 170.

btw, I used to have that Enermax PSU and it can provide 36amps on the 12v line :D I even used it to power this rig whilst overclocked for a week or so.

Soldato
OP
Nutbusta said:
Personally mate, if the price difference is minimal then I would deffo go for the 170.

btw, I used to have that Enermax PSU and it can provide 36amps on the 12v line :D I even used it to power this rig whilst overclocked for a week or so.

Found a 170 for just shy of £140, and a 165 for £115, so £25 difference, hmmm :confused:

Associate
I went from a 3000+ winne cpu to a opteron 170 now at 2.5Ghz. The chip will go a lot further than 2.5Ghz but at the moment I don't need the speed or the noise from my coolers.

The upgrade was well worth it ands it nice to encode a DVD and still be able to work without lag. Does mean less breaks away from you pc aswell.

The primary reason I upgraded was the 3D rendering work that I needed to do for uni took to long on a single core cpu, duel core did it twice as fast :D

Back
Top Bottom